OAFC Proposed Candidate Testing Services

FF95

OAFC Proposed Candidate Testing Services

Postby FF95 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Looks like it will be just a matter of time before there is a standardized recruit testing process. Request for proposals have been sent out for tender and will include the CPAT, clinical, medical, firefighter tactical skills assessment, aptitude and interpersonal relations testing.

It will be the same idea as the policing process where it is recognized by most, if not all departments and valid for a specific amount of time.

No going to do a Brock test cause dept A only accepts brock right after you've just completed the York etc.

It also looks like York will change if they are interested in getting the contract or lose most if not all the applicant business.

Here is the link to the request for proposal:

http://www.oafc.on.ca/system/files/priv ... rvices.pdf

Good news for candidates in the future, just not sure how long it will take to implement...
Last edited by FF95 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leaf

Postby Leaf » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Love, Love, Love this.

DWilliams

Postby DWilliams » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:30 am

http://www.applicanttesting.com/ already have this set up for a variety of fire departments. Would be sooo simple for each dept to just agree to use them.

Also, I wonder if the departments would still use CPS (and others) for the written component? So, like in the police, you need the ATS test certificates to apply to a dept but then the dept might still bring you in to do a separate written...

Also I'd like to see lots of different companies set up to do the testing (unlike police where ATS seems to be a monopoly) rather than just one. As we all know the only thing a monopoly gives you is high prices :0)
Last edited by DWilliams on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

LairdHamilton

Postby LairdHamilton » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Something has to be done about CPAT. It is such an unbeleivable joke. If they do include it in this then the whole program is basically useless.10:20 is an eternity to finish those tasks and there is basically no strength assesment.

I hope this change does not happen without a review

FF95

Postby FF95 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:16 pm

[quote=""LairdHamilton""]Something has to be done about CPAT. It is such an unbeleivable joke. If they do include it in this then the whole program is basically useless.10:20 is an eternity to finish those tasks and there is basically no strength assesment.

I hope this change does not happen without a review[/quote]

I can't see the cpat changing anytime soon… it's been created and approved by the iaff and iafc so you would have to lobby both those bodies where the majority of their membership is in the US.

LairdHamilton

Postby LairdHamilton » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 pm

True, it probably wont change. These easy tests will be the downfall of the fire service, slowly dumbing it down.. its already happening in the states. ridiculous mental tests down there.

Youre right the cpat wont change because its already been around too long in the states and im sure all those out of shape americans are cool with aneasy test.. and cool with performing poorly on calls

sorry for the rant... i dont think im anything special i just think the job we all love is being disrespected

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Really? You think Detroit and FDNY, who both use CPAT perform poorly on calls? LA? La County? San Francisco? Toronto? Calgary?

It's a minimum standard to get a foot in the door. those who can't hack it will still be weeded out eventually.
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

LairdHamilton

Postby LairdHamilton » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:59 pm

[quote=""PNEFD""]Really? You think Detroit and FDNY, who both use CPAT perform poorly on calls? LA? La County? San Francisco? Toronto? Calgary?

It's a minimum standard to get a foot in the door. those who can't hack it will still be weeded out eventually.[/quote]

Interesting examples my friend.are you at all aware of any of the issues in these depts? FDNY Just started using the CPAT and now they have a rookie who cant even pass a simple run test for example.

Based on your name etc im assuming that oyu are a career firefighter. You should know then that it is almost impossible to fire or weed out those that "cant hack it". Usually, people who are under performing in any area (certainly/especially physical ability) are protected and moved around on fires etc to accomidate them--- slowing operations and risking lives. The CPAT is just going to increase those numbers.. as it has been.

CPAT is WELL below the minimum standard to operate effectivly on many calls. I stand by my previous comment: this testing will be the downfall of the fire service. It puts firefighters and citizens at risk. A firefighter has to be able to perform in every aspect. Any firefighter that supports the CPAT does not support their brothers and sisters or the fire service. The CPAT dumbs down our job.

Those that cant hack it should be weeded out from the start and never get hired

someday

Postby someday » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:47 am

[quote=""LairdHamilton""]Interesting examples my friend.are you at all aware of any of the issues in these depts? FDNY Just started using the CPAT and now they have a rookie who cant even pass a simple run test for example.

Based on your name etc im assuming that oyu are a career firefighter. You should know then that it is almost impossible to fire or weed out those that "cant hack it". Usually, people who are under performing in any area (certainly/especially physical ability) are protected and moved around on fires etc to accomidate them--- slowing operations and risking lives. The CPAT is just going to increase those numbers.. as it has been.

CPAT is WELL below the minimum standard to operate effectivly on many calls. I stand by my previous comment: this testing will be the downfall of the fire service. It puts firefighters and citizens at risk. A firefighter has to be able to perform in every aspect. Any firefighter that supports the CPAT does not support their brothers and sisters or the fire service. The CPAT dumbs down our job.

Those that cant hack it should be weeded out from the start and never get hired[/quote]
Hey lard , where do you buy your cape??

FiremanLGT

Postby FiremanLGT » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 am

[quote=""LairdHamilton""]Interesting examples my friend.are you at all aware of any of the issues in these depts? FDNY Just started using the CPAT and now they have a rookie who cant even pass a simple run test for example.

Those that cant hack it should be weeded out from the start and never get hired[/quote]

Although the CPAT isn't and shouldn't be challenging to anyone in above average shape, it certainly serves it's purpose of weeding out people in poor and inadequate shape. I'm a firefighter, not an Olympic athlete and don't expect everyone I work with to have the level of fitness of a professional athlete or Olympic athlete. 95% of our calls are routine alarms, medicals, natural gas calls, CO calls and MVC's. All that's required physically for these calls is the ability to carry a highrise pack (maybe even up a few sets of stairs occasionally), lug the medical equipment/Defib in and out of a house (perhaps assist medics with lifting a heavy patient).

For fires, ya...advancing a hoseline to the 2nd floor of a house, dragging a victim out, raising a 35 foot ladder, ventilating a roof, overhauling cellulose insulation all require some degree of fitness. But we work as a team, usually with 3 of us to perform anyone of those tasks. I'd rather have a guy that's 25 pounds overweight with 20 years on the job that probably couldn't presently pass the CPAT BUT knows what he's doing as my partner vs. a 23 year old kid fresh outa college with no relevant experience but can offer a VO2 max of 58, squat 405 and hang clean 185 x 10.
"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes" - Ralph Waldo Emerson