Toronto 2014

koptarpilot

Toronto 2014

Postby koptarpilot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:11 pm

OK, I'm taking a risk here, but hope that there's others out there who might see my logic, so here goes. The risk is that this post/thread gets deleted/moved. I've received some reliable info that Toronto will be hiring Feb. The info is from Toronto HR and another separate source from T Fire. Try calling them yourself, before passing judgement. They're meeting this week to determine hiring, but at the same time, Toronto Fire Association is openly campaigning to increase/hiring and/or lessen station and truck closures for legit safety reasons. So, I ask that anyone who reads this post contact a Toronto counsellor and express their safety concerns, insurance increase concerns, establishment issues etc. Example, Main Fire station had to respond to that call in Yorkville the other day. Well, that left the station unmanned, therefore that community unprotected... If enough of us show concern, maybe they'll be a little more generous on the hiring numbers... They're meeting this week, there's still enough time!!! Here's where you can show your concerns... 1-866-381-3398 (seconds count Toronto) and mail@torontofirefighters.org. Go and tell'em

Fire145

Postby Fire145 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:29 pm

[quote=""koptarpilot""]OK, I'm taking a risk here, but hope that there's others out there who might see my logic, so here goes. The risk is that this post/thread gets deleted/moved. I've received some reliable info that Toronto will be hiring Feb. The info is from Toronto HR and another separate source from T Fire. Try calling them yourself, before passing judgement. They're meeting this week to determine hiring, but at the same time, Toronto Fire Association is openly campaigning to increase/hiring and/or lessen station and truck closures for legit safety reasons. So, I ask that anyone who reads this post contact a Toronto counsellor and express their safety concerns, insurance increase concerns, establishment issues etc. Example, Main Fire station had to respond to that call in Yorkville the other day. Well, that left the station unmanned, therefore that community unprotected... If enough of us show concern, maybe they'll be a little more generous on the hiring numbers... They're meeting this week, there's still enough time!!! Here's where you can show your concerns... 1-866-381-3398 (seconds count Toronto) and mail@torontofirefighters.org. Go and tell'em[/quote]

Do you mean opening a new recruitment in Feb or hiring from the existing group going through medicals?

koptarpilot

Postby koptarpilot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Ya, sorry 145, I'm guessing you're on the list and having passed your medical, but if I remember correctly, those who have got to a particular stage will continue forward in the 2013 hiring process. For the rest of us, me included, we've got to let counsel know what they're doing is dangerous and puts us at risk. THEN AND ONLY THEN, might those b%^ds at City Hall increase the number of firefighters, instead of letting them all retire away. They're just waiting until there's a fatality, could be my mother or yours. Then an investigation is initiated and then maybe City Counsel might start increasing the number of Toronto's much needed firefighters again. Its worth a try, isn't it! And it benefits all. Do it for yourselves, do it for the city and most of all do it because its the safe and responsible thing to do. You're all firefighters aren't you, so make the call!

1-866-381-3398 (seconds count Toronto) and mail@torontofirefighters.org.

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:04 pm

[quote=""koptarpilot""]OK, I'm taking a risk here, but hope that there's others out there who might see my logic, so here goes. The risk is that this post/thread gets deleted/moved. I've received some reliable info that Toronto will be hiring Feb. The info is from Toronto HR and another separate source from T Fire. Try calling them yourself, before passing judgement. They're meeting this week to determine hiring, but at the same time, Toronto Fire Association is openly campaigning to increase/hiring and/or lessen station and truck closures for legit safety reasons. So, I ask that anyone who reads this post contact a Toronto counsellor and express their safety concerns, insurance increase concerns, establishment issues etc. Example, Main Fire station had to respond to that call in Yorkville the other day. Well, that left the station unmanned, therefore that community unprotected... If enough of us show concern, maybe they'll be a little more generous on the hiring numbers... They're meeting this week, there's still enough time!!! Here's where you can show your concerns... 1-866-381-3398 (seconds count Toronto) and mail@torontofirefighters.org. Go and tell'em[/quote]

Best advice ever!!!
Everyone will take a step back if Toronto decommissions apparatus. If you are hoping to become a professional firefighter in Toronto you have a stake in this. There will be between 60 to 100 less firefighters required in Toronto. Nobody will lose their job but that is 60 to 100 that won;t be new hires.

Make that call!
B.S.
"Anyone can be trained to be a firefighter, it takes brains to survive"

koptarpilot

Postby koptarpilot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks Bigsmoke. If you don't live in Toronto, you can still express your concerns via email. Spoke to Seconds Count, the agency hired to handle the responses for T F Association and they haven't received many responses! Its seems to Toronto Counsel that at this moment NO ONE CARES!!! There's many of us, so many... This is our one time we can actually make a difference and make a difference in the hiring numbers. We've got only until Wed 29th, then we eat what we've sown, or didn't sow. Do something.

volta

Postby volta » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:09 pm

I will be absolutely shocked if council actually cut those positions in an election year. That will go against everything that sleazy politicians do to buy votes.
But they might actually cut, since the Fire Chief is adamant that eliminating those positions won't have any effect on response times.
So for those on the outside looking in, get off your assess and get moving, if it means going to city hall on Wednesday and Thursday to let those councillors know so be it.

Just my two cents.

dougyG93

Postby dougyG93 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Its true, with the amount of competition already in this city for Fire jobs, if they make further cuts it will only make things more challenging to get hired. Here is what I sent: Hi there, I think it is absolutely absurd that city council plans on closing any fire halls or taking trucks off of the road. It is a known fact that per capita Toronto firefighters are overworked and under staffed, regardless of the hearsay about what firefighters do on their down time. The same people who support these closures and cuts will be the first people to complain when their home insurance sky rockets. We are now entering an age of where baby boomers are getting into old age and the amount of medical calls to come will be unimaginable. The city is putting up more condos and with the influx of more immigrants each year the population continues to rise, especially in the inner city. Shouldn't Toronto hire emergency services personnel and build new fire halls based on population increases and staff accordingly? Having a fire hall in each district doesn't necessarily mean that there are enough staff to fufill the needs of the population of that particular district. I believe Toronto Fire is already behind NFPA standards for response times so, what will happen with more cuts and increased workloads? It is no secret that decent, middle class, unionized jobs are under attack in this city but, this is no reason to deplete a service that is put in place to help the public. God forbid we allow people to earn a decent living in this city and have the ability to keep our economy going through purchasing homes, cars etc. Although firefighters salaries are reasonable, in the grand scheme of things they are not paid enough for the dangers and high percentage of future health issues they face as well as the psychological toll they pay from years on the job. The answer to saving money for the city is to increase corporate taxes. I am sure a corporate tax increase will have much less of an effect on the pockets of CEOs than the effect that targeting fire department budgets will have on so many family's in Toronto.

koptarpilot

Postby koptarpilot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:33 pm

You know, I've even called the office of the Mayor on this. There's nothing wrong with letting him know how his constituents feel. He likes to be known for acting on Toronto residents' concerns, so when you call "Seconds Count" and/or send off your email to mail@torontofirefighters.org, feel free to let the mayor know too and put it in your email message also.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/conte ... d60f89RCRD

ratboy

Postby ratboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:58 pm

[quote=""dougyG93""]Its true, with the amount of competition already in this city for Fire jobs, if they make further cuts it will only make things more challenging to get hired. Here is what I sent: Hi there, I think it is absolutely absurd that city council plans on closing any fire halls or taking trucks off of the road. It is a known fact that per capita Toronto firefighters are overworked and under staffed, regardless of the hearsay about what firefighters do on their down time. The same people who support these closures and cuts will be the first people to complain when their home insurance sky rockets. We are now entering an age of where baby boomers are getting into old age and the amount of medical calls to come will be unimaginable. The city is putting up more condos and with the influx of more immigrants each year the population continues to rise, especially in the inner city. Shouldn't Toronto hire emergency services personnel and build new fire halls based on population increases and staff accordingly? Having a fire hall in each district doesn't necessarily mean that there are enough staff to fufill the needs of the population of that particular district. I believe Toronto Fire is already behind NFPA standards for response times so, what will happen with more cuts and increased workloads? It is no secret that decent, middle class, unionized jobs are under attack in this city but, this is no reason to deplete a service that is put in place to help the public. God forbid we allow people to earn a decent living in this city and have the ability to keep our economy going through purchasing homes, cars etc. Although firefighters salaries are reasonable, in the grand scheme of things they are not paid enough for the dangers and high percentage of future health issues they face as well as the psychological toll they pay from years on the job. The answer to saving money for the city is to increase corporate taxes. I am sure a corporate tax increase will have much less of an effect on the pockets of CEOs than the effect that targeting fire department budgets will have on so many family's in Toronto.[/quote]
A bit of constructive criticism here, please don't take offence. While I agree that voicing your concern about safety in the city due to population increases and staffing reductions is true. A lot of your email comes off as generic whining about the struggles of the "middle class". We should contact our local reps about safety issues, but try and leave the conspiracy theories out of it. Also, I am not sure what "increase the corporate tax" means at a municipal level. As corporate tax rates are controlled by the federal government and therefore has absolutely nothing to do with the city, fire-fighters or the budget. Again it just comes off as uninformed and may make the totally valid points in your email be disregarded.

All that being said, props to you for stepping up and sending something to the city to let them know that what they are doing is wrong.

TheBatman

Postby TheBatman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:15 am

[quote=""dougyG93""]Its true, with the amount of competition already in this city for Fire jobs, if they make further cuts it will only make things more challenging to get hired. Here is what I sent: Hi there, I think it is absolutely absurd that city council plans on closing any fire halls or taking trucks off of the road. It is a known fact that per capita Toronto firefighters are overworked and under staffed, regardless of the hearsay about what firefighters do on their down time. The same people who support these closures and cuts will be the first people to complain when their home insurance sky rockets. We are now entering an age of where baby boomers are getting into old age and the amount of medical calls to come will be unimaginable. The city is putting up more condos and with the influx of more immigrants each year the population continues to rise, especially in the inner city. Shouldn't Toronto hire emergency services personnel and build new fire halls based on population increases and staff accordingly? Having a fire hall in each district doesn't necessarily mean that there are enough staff to fufill the needs of the population of that particular district. I believe Toronto Fire is already behind NFPA standards for response times so, what will happen with more cuts and increased workloads? It is no secret that decent, middle class, unionized jobs are under attack in this city but, this is no reason to deplete a service that is put in place to help the public. God forbid we allow people to earn a decent living in this city and have the ability to keep our economy going through purchasing homes, cars etc. Although firefighters salaries are reasonable, in the grand scheme of things they are not paid enough for the dangers and high percentage of future health issues they face as well as the psychological toll they pay from years on the job. The answer to saving money for the city is to increase corporate taxes. I am sure a corporate tax increase will have much less of an effect on the pockets of CEOs than the effect that targeting fire department budgets will have on so many family's in Toronto.[/quote]

Another piece of advice for anyone emailing in, try throwing some stats at them that aren't medical, maybe some fires, environmental rescues, hazmat. Toronto EMS just got approved to hire 150 paramedics over the next 5 years, that will deal with most of the medical calls. Also I also wouldn't even bring up downtime, cause some people will just see that and nothing else. Just my 2 cents.
"Anyone can be someones hero, it doesn't take training"