Vancouver 2014

Probie91

Postby Probie91 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:59 am

[quote=""Mike31""]Nothing has came up on my email yet. I think tomorrow is the day. I`m just curious here guys, might be a dumb question but did any of you include cover letters in your application package?[/quote]

You bet I did. Can never hurt.

wnameth

Postby wnameth » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Invites went out via email.

Mike31

Postby Mike31 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Just got mine, thanks for the heads up!

bagreen

Postby bagreen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm

just curious if they emailed everyone this morning? Haven't received anyting yet but I've made to the writen in the past... can't see why I wouldn't make it this time.

Probie91

Postby Probie91 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:35 pm

[quote=""bagreen""]just curious if they emailed everyone this morning? Haven't received anyting yet but I've made to the writen in the past... can't see why I wouldn't make it this time.[/quote]

I hear you bud. I haven't heard anything either.

kphillips

Study Materials for Firefighter Aptitude Test

Postby kphillips » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Good morning all,

I was hoping someone could shed a little light on any further study materials to help become successful on the Firefighter Aptitude Test. I have downloaded the National Fire Select Test practice test however after going through it, it seems rather easy and I would think the actual test would be more challenging. My brother is a firefighter in Ontario and understandably the process is different but the way he explained the tests he had written for various departments sounded much more difficult than the practice test I have before me.

This will be my first time writing the test so please pardon my ignorance. I did a little digging on this website and found a recommended book "Comprehensive Guide To Canadian Fire Fighter Exams" but it's dated to March 2010 as the publication date. Is this an appropriate book?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
K

JayGray

Postby JayGray » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Got an email to write! Anyone know is this the fpsi test?

Kphillips-- I have theComprehensive guide and the Canadian Barrons book. THe barons one covers all the different tests so i would go with that one if you have to pick its way cheaper to

kphillips

Postby kphillips » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:57 pm

[quote=""JayGray""]Got an email to write! Anyone know is this the fpsi test?

Kphillips-- I have theComprehensive guide and the Canadian Barrons book. THe barons one covers all the different tests so i would go with that one if you have to pick its way cheaper to[/quote]

Thanks JayGray!

Wolf17

Postby Wolf17 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Quoting VFD's website: "We finished screening 684 applications and have invited 551 people to our aptitude test on Saturday, October 4. Good luck!"

I wonder how many they are looking at hiring? Goodluck to everyone writing on October 4th!

kphillips

Postby kphillips » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:39 pm

[quote=""Wolf17""]Quoting VFD's website: "We finished screening 684 applications and have invited 551 people to our aptitude test on Saturday, October 4. Good luck!"

I wonder how many they are looking at hiring? Goodluck to everyone writing on October 4th![/quote]

At the info sessions they said typically 30-35 each year which fluctuates depending on the number that retire, change jobs, etc. Having said that, last year they only took 6 which they said was an odd year with such a small recruitment. Not sure what happened in the hiring process but from reading the feed from last year it sounds like there was a lot of speculation as to the physical assessment component being a main contributing factor for some reason. Anywho, what do I know. It's all heresy I suppose unless we have an inside connection as it seems that most of that stuff is kept private.

Cheers,
KP