Vancouver 2014

Wolf17

Postby Wolf17 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:34 am

[quote=""BenBen""]Passing the Vancouver physical in under 5.20 is pretty straight forward, and as far as I understand it is a "pass / fail " test. [/quote]

I know nothing about the Vancouver physical. Is it similar to Fire Fit? Any links or video's would be much appreciated.

Pegasus

Postby Pegasus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Ben Ben- last year I passed the physical in 3 mins something, and didn't get an interview.

wolf here is the test, very similar to firefit.

"The PPA simulates tasks that are similar to the duties of a firefighter. Participants wear NFPAapproved firefighter turnout gear: coat, pants, helmet, gloves, boots and a self-containedbreathing apparatus without the face piece. Tasks are performed one after another on acontinuous basis and are described below:

1: Pick up and carry an 18 kg (40 lb) duffle bag up four (4) flights of stairs to a height
of 12.3 m (40’)

2: Then using a 19 mm (7/8") rope, hoist a hose roll weighing 18 kg (40 lbs) up 12.3 m
(40'). Then walk down the stairs touching every step on the way down

3: Use the forced entry simulation machine where a 3.6 kg (8 lb) sledge hammer is
used to drive the 76 kg (167 lb) steel beam horizontally a distance of 1.5 m (5')

4: Then walk to the hose and lift an un-charged 65 mm (2.5") hose line over
the shoulder and drag the hose 30 m (100')

5: Then drag an 80 kg (175 lb) dummy for 30 m (100’) in a straight line
Applicants must complete all tasks in 5 minutes and 30 seconds or less to advance to the
next step of the selection process.

After successful completion, Applicants will be given an opportunity to rest and then
proceed to raising and lowering the sections of a fixed 35 foot ladder.

Note: For safety reasons, it is important to recognize that this is a pass/fail assessment.
Completing the test in a shorter time will not enhance your application in any way."

Only difference is last year you did the ladder raise before the rest of the test.

wnameth

Postby wnameth » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:36 pm

[quote=""Pegasus""]Ben Ben- last year I passed the physical in 3 mins something, and didn't get an interview.
[/quote]

How many were interviewed? Seems odd they wouldn't take everyone that passed.

Pegasus

Postby Pegasus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:51 pm

i'm not sure how many were interviewed, i was also under the impression a pass=interview. last year's recruitment was very odd, rumours were going around about budgets not being approved and not a lot of retirements, etc. At one point they were talking about running 3 classes of new recruits, then the recruitment process just kind of went silent and no explanation was given.

Wolf17

Postby Wolf17 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 pm

From Vancouver's website:

"October 6, 2014 – 532 people took the written test last Saturday and the exams are currently being marked.
We are unable to give feedback on written test results.
In the next few weeks, we will publish the identification numbers for candidates invited to the physical assessment on November 8. Also, we will send these candidates an assessment time and location.
The physical assessment date and time are fixed – we do not take requests for alternate dates and times.
Successfully completing a step in our hiring process does not guarantee you will move to the next step."

FireMedic77

Postby FireMedic77 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:51 pm

I am going to try to help out the way I wish I had help during my attempts with VFRS. Let me be as straight forward as possible. The test is not pass/fail. Technically on paper in the city's official public explanations... yes, it is pass/fail. But in front of the boys, the training officers, the recruiting staff and everyone at the training division while you're there- if you do not give maximum effort 100% of your time there, your chances will be less than a fart in the wind. It is a race. Always a race. You may not be the fastest guy there but I know all of the boys and staff want to see you run the test so hard that you're ready to collapse by the time you're done. That's what I did. Your physical test should take less than 3mins realistically. Less than 5 if you're a woman.

Just because you 'pass' the physical test does not mean you get an interview. No chance. After every stage your resume, results, effort and attitude will be reviewed. Make no mistake about it. Do something to stand out. I knew I would be good at the physical and I still did my best to stand out. Be friendly, helpful and don't worry for a minute about what others are doing. If everyone is walking, you run. If everyone is watching, you help reset the dummy/rope/sled/hose, etc. Every single thing you do with VFRS before you have a job is a competition. You are going to act like you care about every other hopeful guy there, but the truth is that the guy next to you is trying to take your job. Remember that. You have to do EVERYTHING you can to be a little bit better than the next guy. You're kidding yourself if you think the staff there don't make notes on the day of testing. You are always being watched.

One last thing regarding physical testing. When they offer you different gloves for the 35ft ladder raise (instead of the fire suppression gloves) don't take them if you don't need them. Use the big leather piece of shit gloves. Remember, anything that makes you seem weaker gets noticed.

I'm giving you guys the real deal. I wish I had some of this information when I was going through my process. If you think the process is any different than this, you're wrong. And that is the reason you're still on the outside looking in.

Wolf17

Postby Wolf17 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:12 pm

[quote=""FireMedic77""]I am going to try to help out the way I wish I had help during my attempts with VFRS. Let me be as straight forward as possible. The test is not pass/fail. Technically on paper in the city's official public explanations... yes, it is pass/fail. But in front of the boys, the training officers, the recruiting staff and everyone at the training division while you're there- if you do not give maximum effort 100% of your time there, your chances will be less than a fart in the wind. It is a race. Always a race. You may not be the fastest guy there but I know all of the boys and staff want to see you run the test so hard that you're ready to collapse by the time you're done. That's what I did. Your physical test should take less than 3mins realistically. Less than 5 if you're a woman.

Just because you 'pass' the physical test does not mean you get an interview. No chance. After every stage your resume, results, effort and attitude will be reviewed. Make no mistake about it. Do something to stand out. I knew I would be good at the physical and I still did my best to stand out. Be friendly, helpful and don't worry for a minute about what others are doing. If everyone is walking, you run. If everyone is watching, you help reset the dummy/rope/sled/hose, etc. Every single thing you do with VFRS before you have a job is a competition. You are going to act like you care about every other hopeful guy there, but the truth is that the guy next to you is trying to take your job. Remember that. You have to do EVERYTHING you can to be a little bit better than the next guy. You're kidding yourself if you think the staff there don't make notes on the day of testing. You are always being watched.

One last thing regarding physical testing. When they offer you different gloves for the 35ft ladder raise (instead of the fire suppression gloves) don't take them if you don't need them. Use the big leather piece of shit gloves. Remember, anything that makes you seem weaker gets noticed.

I'm giving you guys the real deal. I wish I had some of this information when I was going through my process. If you think the process is any different than this, you're wrong. And that is the reason you're still on the outside looking in.[/quote]

Thank-you. I appreciate your time and advice!

Mike31

Postby Mike31 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for the pointers, it`s appreciated!

Mike31

Postby Mike31 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Anyone hear anything yet?

Fozz141

Postby Fozz141 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Nothing yet, and nothing on the website