York University Fitness Test

fiddle

York University Fitness Test

Postby fiddle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello All,

Long time member of this site, first time poster.

I know its been addressed before, but was just looking through the forum to find out as much information about the YORK U fitness test.

It's been years since I've done the YORK test, and have a test coming up which I am a little nervous about.

Does YORK still use the old technology they did once upon a time - With tube in mouth and sweaty nose plugs ?

Also - what is the average amount of time you are usually on the treadmill for.

I know it is different for each person -
But looking to hear some others experiences -

And has anyone every been told from a Proctor that they have reached there max.
From my experiences they never do tell you. Which kinda sucks

Any information helps.

Thanks guys

Vigiles

Postby Vigiles » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:38 pm

[quote=""fiddle""]Hello All,

Long time member of this site, first time poster.

I know its been addressed before, but was just looking through the forum to find out as much information about the YORK U fitness test.

It's been years since I've done the YORK test, and have a test coming up which I am a little nervous about.

Does YORK still use the old technology they did once upon a time - With tube in mouth and sweaty nose plugs ?

Also - what is the average amount of time you are usually on the treadmill for.

I know it is different for each person -
But looking to hear some others experiences -

And has anyone every been told from a Proctor that they have reached there max.
From my experiences they never do tell you. Which kinda sucks

Any information helps.

Thanks guys[/quote]

Yes, it's still old technology... Unless they've changed it since February 2014 (last time I took it), but I don't think so.

You still have to run with a stupid tube in your mouth that moves around while you run and gets in the way of your arm swing and yes you have to wear a stupid nose plug.

I've never heard of someone being told whether they've reached their max or not and there's no linear progression to that either. I've seen candidates who only lasted 10 minutes get higher VO2 maxes than others who were on the treadmill for 45 minutes, so as for times they're all over the map, but perhaps something like 15 minutes...

Vigiles

fiddle

Postby fiddle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:54 pm

[quote=""Vigiles""]Yes, it's still old technology... Unless they've changed it since February 2014 (last time I took it), but I don't think so.

You still have to run with a stupid tube in your mouth that moves around while you run and gets in the way of your arm swing and yes you have to wear a stupid nose plug.

I've never heard of someone being told whether they've reached their max or not and there's no linear progression to that either. I've seen candidates who only lasted 10 minutes get higher VO2 maxes than others who were on the treadmill for 45 minutes, so as for times they're all over the map, but perhaps something like 15 minutes...

Vigiles[/quote]

Thank you for your response Vigiles -
Really hate the technology that YORK uses - and considering it is all hand calculated by students also drives me crazy.

I don't like how they don't tell you, that you've passed or maxed out.
At brock they'll tell you theres not point of running any longer as you've already maxed out.

Anyways thanks for your answer.
Heres to hoping they got new technology lol

firemed909

Postby firemed909 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey guys,
I've never run the York myself but hoping I'll be going in the next little bit. Is the test time as a whole, like the CPAT?
- do the do a sit and reach and body fat?

Over all if you've passed the CPAT should you be able to pass the york?

Thanks all

J

FF95

Postby FF95 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:49 pm

[quote=""fiddle""]Thank you for your response Vigiles -
Really hate the technology that YORK uses - and considering it is all hand calculated by students also drives me crazy.

I don't like how they don't tell you, that you've passed or maxed out.
At brock they'll tell you theres not point of running any longer as you've already maxed out.

Anyways thanks for your answer.
Heres to hoping they got new technology lol[/quote]

I will always ask if I've plateau'd and they'll usually do a calculation and subtlety hint by saying that they think I can go another round. Other times they will say no I'm done... theyre really nog suppose to tell you. I also know others who have asked the say question and the response they got was, this is the VO2 max, not the VO2 pass. It all depends on the proctor you have.

Last time I was on for 20-25 min with some walking breaks in between.

Good luck!

FF95

Postby FF95 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:53 pm

[quote=""firemed909""]Hey guys,
I've never run the York myself but hoping I'll be going in the next little bit. Is the test time as a whole, like the CPAT?
- do the do a sit and reach and body fat?

Over all if you've passed the CPAT should you be able to pass the york?

Thanks all

J[/quote]

The job performance testing are all individual, and all are timed except the ladder climb and the acrophbia test. Yes if you can do the CPAT, you should be able to do the York...

fiddle

Postby fiddle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:27 pm

[quote=""FF95""]I will always ask if I've plateau'd and they'll usually do a calculation and subtlety hint by saying that they think I can go another round. Other times they will say no I'm done... theyre really nog suppose to tell you. I also know others who have asked the say question and the response they got was, this is the VO2 max, not the VO2 pass. It all depends on the proctor you have.

Last time I was on for 20-25 min with some walking breaks in between.

Good luck![/quote]

I know it's not the V02 pass. But I hate how they will continue to make you run even if you are maxed.
At Brock I was maxed out in 8 minutes -
Last time I did York I think I was on it around the same 20-25.

What speed / incline were you at by that time

Firefighter126

Postby Firefighter126 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:26 pm

I ran for 14 minutes and scored a 51 on the VO2 and had no problem doing the rest of the test and passing, also by no means am I in the greatest shape in the world, I'm about average.

fiddle

Postby fiddle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:54 pm

[quote=""Firefighter126""]I ran for 14 minutes and scored a 51 on the VO2 and had no problem doing the rest of the test and passing, also by no means am I in the greatest shape in the world, I'm about average.[/quote]

Good to know ! I've passed it before, just for some reason am physching my self out.
When you say you're about average - how often would you say you work out on a weekly basis -
And how often do you run -
Sorry for all the questions, just am really nervous -

Also was that 14 minutes with breaks

FF95

Postby FF95 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:19 am

[quote=""fiddle""]I know it's not the V02 pass. But I hate how they will continue to make you run even if you are maxed.
At Brock I was maxed out in 8 minutes -
Last time I did York I think I was on it around the same 20-25.

What speed / incline were you at by that time[/quote]

By the time I was done, I was running at 6.5 mph and 14% incline. The first time I did it, I was so anxious as passing it was a requirement for an interview. Try to relax, practice on a treadmill, and you will do fine!