York University Fitness Test

cjones132

Postby cjones132 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Does anyone know what number constitutes a pass on the york v02 test? I know OFAI is now 50 but can't find an answer for york anywhere.

wnameth

Postby wnameth » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:44 pm

[quote=""cjones132""]Does anyone know what number constitutes a pass on the york v02 test? I know OFAI is now 50 but can't find an answer for york anywhere.[/quote]

its low 40s.

firemed909

Postby firemed909 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:49 pm

[quote=""cjones132""]Does anyone know what number constitutes a pass on the york v02 test? I know OFAI is now 50 but can't find an answer for york anywhere.[/quote]

I was told by the Vo2max tester at the Brock that there pass rate was 43. Supposedly they have research stating that 43 is the minimum threshold to be able to use air efficiently in an SCBA.

DaneGerousHow

Postby DaneGerousHow » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 am

Does anyone know what the Time Limits are for the timed portions of the York Test.

I have scoured these forums for any indication, but can't find anything. I also emailed York, they wouldn't give me a time limit, stating it was "Proprietary Information", all they would say is that tasks are to be preformed in a "Purposeful Manner", which doesn't really help you gauge where you're at.

Any insight would be appreciated.

palcakes

Postby palcakes » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:48 pm

[quote=""DaneGerousHow""]Does anyone know what the Time Limits are for the timed portions of the York Test.

I have scoured these forums for any indication, but can't find anything. I also emailed York, they wouldn't give me a time limit, stating it was "Proprietary Information", all they would say is that tasks are to be preformed in a "Purposeful Manner", which doesn't really help you gauge where you're at.

Any insight would be appreciated.[/quote]

During the tests they will make remarks like "you need to speed up" or "come on push harder" as an indication you are getting behind. Ive asked about times before and they wont say a word.

I did once get told that "We highly advise you to take the stair test again." I asked "Am I going to fail." and was told "You havent failed but we highly advise you to do it again"

I refused on account i was absolutely knackered and a redo would not have been faster. I figured I'd get a mark that indicated I was borderline, but in fact on the certificate it indicated "pass". So I dont know what was going on with that one. A pass is a pass and thats all the fire departments know - unless behind the scenes they are getting numbers too?

Its all very sketchy if you ask me.

Applicant2013

Postby Applicant2013 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Not to mention the vO2 samples are collected manually which can lead to some human error, ie:forgetting to tell you to stop a work load or forgetting to properly reset to collection device

Pondduck

Postby Pondduck » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:55 am

The York process is outdated. Plain and simple. I asked a proctor at York why they still
Use the v02 test the way the do and the guy said it's more accurate (impressively with a straight face), but really if that were true, there would be a very standardized way of doing it, not no nose plug one time, nose plug another, and one time no joke I had this little 5 foot nothing woman reaching up and holding my nose closed as I ran. I'm over six feet tall, so that was a beyond ridiculous.

Palcakes; you must be from the UK :) . Knackered is my evidence. But you are right, York does share the info with departments, so does Brock or whatever it's called now. Festi is supposedly the only one that just gives pass fail details,..... But yet they record all data like times, O2 output and the like. So I question that too.

Either way it I hope that the testing becomes provided by only one source, I've done all three this year and honestly it's all the same annoying stuff just in a different building.

palcakes

Postby palcakes » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:57 pm

[quote=""Pondduck""]The York process is outdated. Plain and simple. I asked a proctor at York why they still
Use the v02 test the way the do and the guy said it's more accurate (impressively with a straight face), but really if that were true, there would be a very standardized way of doing it, not no nose plug one time, nose plug another, and one time no joke I had this little 5 foot nothing woman reaching up and holding my nose closed as I ran. I'm over six feet tall, so that was a beyond ridiculous.

Palcakes; you must be from the UK :) . Knackered is my evidence. But you are right, York does share the info with departments, so does Brock or whatever it's called now. Festi is supposedly the only one that just gives pass fail details,..... But yet they record all data like times, O2 output and the like. So I question that too.

Either way it I hope that the testing becomes provided by only one source, I've done all three this year and honestly it's all the same annoying stuff just in a different building.[/quote]

British - aye yes lad I am :)

And one other thing, this is supposedly "professional" testing services yet its all done by students, and yesy I have also had the young girl hold my nose while running. Plus the "ooh that one didnt work, you are going to have to run another cycle....sorry"

But whilever they have the ability to charge and make their money it will always be a crap show I'm afraid. Time for the departments to take it on themselves.

I have experience in the British Fire service and when I went through the pre-recruit testing they had us run a beep test, and then roll hose out and roll it back up again, over and over again til we were bush-wacked. Then they took us in a room and said we were all rubbish and we had to do it again. One guy walked out. They said "anyone else?" and when no-one else got up to leave they said "Right then lads you've all passed. well done" :)

If you have ever had to roll hose out and back up again timed, (basically doing a beep test whilst bent over) you'll realise that is one hell of a test. That would be a much more efficient test over here as it delivers base fitness along with a good amount of internal fortitude, and manual dexterity whilst tired. Cracking good stuff :)

firefan710

York Medical

Postby firefan710 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Can anyone offer any insight on the medical assessment at York if you receive a CJO and are sent by a department??