Central York Fire Service

firegoosevolly

Postby firegoosevolly » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:29 pm

[quote=""dangereric""]On the city website it says "Career level - Experienced". Didn't spot that before. So I'm guessing this is a recruitment for experienced firefighters only. Would I be right in assuming volunteer firefighter counts?[/quote]

yes, volunteer counts, I know this because a guy I volunteered with the last recruitment got hired. Only one other city I knew of just used the OS test before the OFAI and that was Barrie, and yeah make sure you have all your ducks lined up. They don't invite that many to the written from what I understand.

command

Postby command » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 pm

they are looking to hire 2-4 initially (depending on retirement confirmations of a couple people) and a list for upcoming retirements. a good handful retiring in the next couple of years. they usually hire 1 at a time, and prefer people with volunteer experience so they can get away with 2-3 weeks of orientation, then onto the trucks. if they hire 4, it will be a recruit class,(around 12 weeks) and people with less experience may have a better shot at getting on. in saying that, the deputy chief of suppression is retiring in a couple weeks, so he will not be involved in the recruitment this time. so the criteria he used the last few recruitments may be different this time with him not there.

good luck everyone.

firemarshallbill

Postby firemarshallbill » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:37 am

[quote=""dangereric""]On the city website it says "Career level - Experienced". Didn't spot that before. So I'm guessing this is a recruitment for experienced firefighters only. Would I be right in assuming volunteer firefighter counts?[/quote]

Good spot Danger! I say this because I applied to Innisfil about a year or so ago where it was not clear who they were looking for; I went out and paid the $200 or so to get my York for which you needed to apply, then I learn later on that they were only looking for current F/T FF's. If that was their hiring criteria, they should have STRONGLY suggested that in the ad.

wnameth

Postby wnameth » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:04 am

Right, but it still says "probationary" - if they wanted certified FFs wouldn't they be asking for 4th class etc?

Rescue78

Postby Rescue78 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:47 am

Volunteer experience counts as experienced.
Most people train until they do it right.
Professionals train until they can't do it wrong.

DWilliams

Postby DWilliams » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:45 am

[quote=""wnameth""]Right, but it still says "probationary" - if they wanted certified FFs wouldn't they be asking for 4th class etc?[/quote]

This is an interesting point. But, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I have never seen a job ad asking for experienced firefighters that suggests you would start at anything other than probationary level. I think, you always end up starting at the bottom of the pile again.

My thinking is if you have a full time position and you are looking at moving back to a home town then you'll take the cut for a few years to do so. The city knows this and they end up paying less in the long run. They basically budget for hiring (and paying) 3 or 4 probationers, not full 4th class firefighters.
Last edited by DWilliams on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basketcase

Postby Basketcase » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:57 pm

[quote=""firemarshallbill""]Good spot Danger! I say this because I applied to Innisfil about a year or so ago where it was not clear who they were looking for; I went out and paid the $200 or so to get my York for which you needed to apply, then I learn later on that they were only looking for current F/T FF's. If that was their hiring criteria, they should have STRONGLY suggested that in the ad.[/quote]

This is not true. I have been a volley for 7 years, never hired full time and I applied to Innisfil, wrote the test, and got an interview invite. I didn't get hired, but proves they weren't just looking for full time applicants

Rescue78

Postby Rescue78 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:44 am

Although some degree of experience is desirable, I invite you to have a second look at the posting. Career level has been changed to entry level as the statement did not reflect the kind of candidates that are being seeked.

NYC343RIP

Postby NYC343RIP » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm a current member of CYFS, been on for a number of years. I was hired as an experienced FF.

I did two weeks of orientation before being put on the trucks.

Our last 5-6 hires have been experienced aka volunteer firefighters. Some more experienced than others.

However our last class of 20 plus we hired a broad range of university grads, firefighters, pre service and trades workers.

Should they decide to hire 4, everyone's chances would be equal. Lots of retirements could be around the corner.

Good luck to you all.

Rescue78

Postby Rescue78 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Although pretty accurate, I feel I have to weigh in on NYC343RIP's comment.

Should this hiring be for 4 positions, not "everyone's chance would be equal". Education and experience are still mainly what will get you invited to the written.