London 2016

FF_E104

Postby FF_E104 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 pm

[quote=""Sparky2013""]Thanks for the update Italstal.

Can anyone confirm?

The FireHire London page seemed to suggest an update would come in 'two weeks' but that was three weeks ago....would be nice to have some reliable information from an official source soon![/quote]

Confirmed. Got call today

Sparky2013

Calls

Postby Sparky2013 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:56 am

Congrats FF_E104!

Good luck on the interview.

FireFreak

Postby FireFreak » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:44 pm

I am so lost with this recruitment process. I was able to get an interview with London last year but never made the final cut. Since then I've taken extra courses to gain further knowledge related to the fire services. This past recruitment I hand a similar physical mark with York, a similar written test mark and added more to my resume. This year I was unable to even get an interview. I know some individuals who did get an interview that did worse then me in both the physical and written and had less fire knowledge, volunteering... on their resume.
At this point I just don't know what other courses I can take or what more I can do to better my position. I'm not giving up... Just trying to understand a process that doesn't seem to have any process...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bravo2zero

Postby Bravo2zero » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:45 am

Fire freak I PM'D you

mcfire01

Postby mcfire01 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:28 am

Bravo2Zero.

I'm in the same boat as fire freak. If you have any feedback for me, feel free to PM me as well

AirBud55

Postby AirBud55 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 am

Ya I wouldn't mind a few pms with what you guys who were successful have on the resume, where you live and York score. Let's just say I am once again extremely salty about Londons recruiting choices as I honestly don't know what they want based on who I know got interviews. Names out of a hat perhaps? Or maybe a big dart board covered in resumes...

Sparky2013

Dart board?

Postby Sparky2013 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Theirs darts missed my application too.

I figure the test has almost no influence on the initial selection. I'm not even sure what the rationale is for getting everyone to write it. It does generate revenue.

It seems evident to me that the selection must be based on other criteria, and perhaps the test serves only to differentiate between some of the candidates...but it is not part of the basic selection.

In other words, two great candidates score the same on resume, fitness and whatever else, presuming we are scored along those lines....then the test helps them distinguish between the two. Or perhaps eliminate some otherwise good candidates if they have a terrible test.

Assuming the process is not somehow corrupted, this is the only explanation that makes sense, and likely this is how it is. So...upgrade the resume?

italstal

Postby italstal » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Mind sending me those tips as well?

FF_E104

Postby FF_E104 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:47 pm

[quote=""Sparky2013""]Theirs darts missed my application too.

I figure the test has almost no influence on the initial selection. I'm not even sure what the rationale is for getting everyone to write it. It does generate revenue.

It seems evident to me that the selection must be based on other criteria, and perhaps the test serves only to differentiate between some of the candidates...but it is not part of the basic selection.

In other words, two great candidates score the same on resume, fitness and whatever else, presuming we are scored along those lines....then the test helps them distinguish between the two. Or perhaps eliminate some otherwise good candidates if they have a terrible test.

Assuming the process is not somehow corrupted, this is the only explanation that makes sense, and likely this is how it is. So...upgrade the resume?[/quote]

I did not understand last year did well on test and York. Did well this year too with a few upgrades and for some reason got an interview

Bravo2zero

Postby Bravo2zero » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I know there were some guys last year who scored well and had good resumes who did not receive interviews. I received one so it could have been many reasons they chose some over others. However why are so many guys who received interviews last year not getting one this year? One can only assume most of those same people have more experience and better quals than last year... at first I thought I made a critical error on my application...now it seems it's a trend that getting an interview last year simply isn't good enough...firehire site says some candidates can receive calls after the deadline. ..so here's hoping for that.