What other career options are there?

dana662

What other career options are there?

Postby dana662 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:40 am

While I wait to try and become a firefighter I realise that this is an immensely competitive filed with an average of 2,000 people for every job (so I'm told) so I have to have a plan B so I have been applying to other things and I wondered what other career options people have looked into?

I so far have looked at -
Police
OPP Prisoner Transport
Safety Officer in a refinery
Plant firefighter
EMS (though I cant afford to go back to school)

Can anybody add to that list? What are good alternative careers that you might have thought about/applied to?

Roree403

Postby Roree403 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Anything that makes you happy and you can see yourself doing for an extended time in the event it takes a while to get hired. I have said it before, it's not the job you have that gets you hired but rather how you do the job you have before you get hired. You get up in the morning and take pride in what you do, it will show when you are siting in the interview. I have worked with people who have sold cars, cut grass, cleaned shitters and performed diving in sewage lagoons before they got hired.

Pick something you will like and do it to the best of your abilities.

Good luck
"Amateurs built the Arc but professionals built the Titanic"

"Are we moving too far ahead, or are you falling too far behind"
Roree403

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:52 pm

Great advice from Roree.

Do something you are going to like for a few years until you get hired.
If you do a job just cause you think its going to get you hired quicker, you are wrong.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

Probie91

Postby Probie91 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:30 pm

those jobs that you listed are fairly sought after too, to be honest. Police, OPP, EMS... so if you got on any of those, each with its own rewarding path, Id assume you'd be happy.