I need some honest opinions

tonythrosweight

I need some honest opinions

Postby tonythrosweight » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:22 pm

For once in my life I have to make a choice between 2 great opportunities.
I am going to give as many details of my current situation as possible. Please let me know what you think is best. I have been battling between the 2 opportunities for some time now and just want some outside perspective.

On one hand I have successfully completed all necessary requirements to Join a large fire dept. I passed civil service exam, PAT test, polygraph etc... all I am waiting for is the start date for the academy. Most attractive thing to me is that they are paying/fast tracking us through the paramedic program. My goal is to become a paramedic I am so tired of basic pay. The retirement is amazing. the biggest negative is the GIANT pay cut that I am going to take. (About 50%). but eventually I would make as much as I do right now.

On the other hand... I have recently been promoted to E/O at my current dept. And I am being closely looked at for a captain promotion. With these raises I would be making alot more than I would if I joined the larger city dept. the only drawback would be I would not become a paramedic and to my current knowledge my dept does not pay for furthering education and its a major headache going to school.

Long story short. One path is easy street to becoming a paramedic and i will eventually catch up to what I am making now,
other path is good money and I can have a great year financially. Ill be super broke and struggling at the big time dept. seems this process is designed for kids living with mom. Lets just say that an entire paycheck here starting is my current rent... sorry for ranting im just not sure what to do.

Probie91

Postby Probie91 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Must be out west, am I correct? you are saying the large fire department will fast track you to becoming a trained paramedic?

e: it looks like you know what you want to do, you just don't know if it is financially possible.

I would take a step back, crunch the numbers and figure out if to you, its worth it to go through some rougher times, for the end goal of what you really want to do.

Roree403

Postby Roree403 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:39 pm

I have been in nearly the same scenario and several of my good friends have also. Yes it is a grind but the mere fact that you are still thinking about it instead of dismissing it tells you something.

I'm not sure if the bigger dept has 6 month or 1 year class promotions but after only a year you will be in better shape. Based on your post, this is the only time you will have this opportunity because once you get promoted to Captain you will never leave. Money is only part of it, take a look 10 years down the road, which is the better choice for you.

Tough choice, good luck
"Amateurs built the Arc but professionals built the Titanic"

"Are we moving too far ahead, or are you falling too far behind"
Roree403