Chicago Fire...discuss

General firefighting discussion.
SmokinAces

Chicago Fire...discuss

Postby SmokinAces » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 am

Ok...on the plus side, at least there is a show on network TV that is about firefighters. On the negative side...well, if you're a firefighter and you've seen the show then you can probably write a list of things that are wrong.

Keeping in mind that they have to make certain changes and concessions for a TV show to work effectively my question is this: is this show good and will you watch it?

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 am

The firefighting and medic aspects aside,the show plain out sucked.Bad acting too many jump cuts too contrived need I go on? That must be the most sought after station man they do in one shift what many big city dept guys may do in a 30 year career.

If they tried to make a show about the job nobody would watch it because there would be too much swearing,too many bill 168 violations and for the most part be pretty boring.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

Pickupman

Postby Pickupman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 am

I dont mind it,but as a FF I am in the know and realize we dont do that. however its great PR and makes the public think we are amazing, and if they think we are amazing they will go to bat for us for pay raises.

SmokinAces

Postby SmokinAces » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm

[quote=""dentedhead""]The firefighting and medic aspects aside,the show plain out sucked.Bad acting too many jump cuts too contrived need I go on? That must be the most sought after station man they do in one shift what many big city dept guys may do in a 30 year career.

If they tried to make a show about the job nobody would watch it because there would be too much swearing,too many bill 168 violations and for the most part be pretty boring.

Dentedhead[/quote]

Yeah, that's sort of the way I feel as well. However, how many police shows have a huge murder/bank robbery/terrorist plot/serial killer/shoot out every single show? Or a lawyer drama where every case is a landmark trial of the century? Or a medical drama where there are an abundance of doctors dealing with extreme trauma? No one would watch a show about police pulling over speeders, lawyers filing paperwork, or doctors checking out someone's weird looking mole. So I don't blame the show writers for having more happen in one shift than is possible.

What I do like is the fact that friends and family who have nothing to do with the FD are asking questions they've never asked before. Anything that starts a discussion and keeps what we do relevant can't be all bad, can it?

DFC

Postby DFC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:26 pm

I loved it when they thought the guy was in the river ,never saw two guys get dressed in wet suit and tank that fast in my life......Oh and the rooky tackling the driver of the car when he tried to run away....very realistic. This show is about as corny as they come and I would put it right up there with Back draft and that crap show ladder 49…..But hell I think Dr who is cool and Scooby Doo is still the best cartoon out there so take it from where it comes…..
"If you don't know where your going, any road will get you there"

stef0d

Postby stef0d » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 pm

As a pilot, they are trying to sell it will all the intensity but it should settle down by the 6th episode; I didn't mind it but I won't cancel Wednesday night hockey for it!

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:00 am

[quote=""SmokinAces""]Yeah, that's sort of the way I feel as well. However, how many police shows have a huge murder/bank robbery/terrorist plot/serial killer/shoot out every single show? Or a lawyer drama where every case is a landmark trial of the century? Or a medical drama where there are an abundance of doctors dealing with extreme trauma? No one would watch a show about police pulling over speeders, lawyers filing paperwork, or doctors checking out someone's weird looking mole. So I don't blame the show writers for having more happen in one shift than is possible.

What I do like is the fact that friends and family who have nothing to do with the FD are asking questions they've never asked before. Anything that starts a discussion and keeps what we do relevant can't be all bad, can it?[/quote]

I took some time to think about how to reply...hey there is first for everything!

I know cop shows are all exaggerated too,I have very close friends who have been cops for 20 plus years and most have never even unholstered their sidearm.However most of the GOOD cop shows have some type of realism to them investigations chasing downdead end leads etc.Dick Wolf has nailed most of that in the law and order franchise.All of which I do like.I understand there is the entertainment factor involved so yeah it needs to be tarted up.

RE Chicago fire first the actual filming of the show was really hard to watch too many jump cuts,story lines all over the shop etc.

If you want friends and family asking you questions about things they see on this show that is a said commentary on whet the public think we do.Where are the shots of fundraising or helping in the community dealing with ignorant municipal politicians those are the aspects of the job most don't see or appreciate!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree I think the show sucks and won't see mid season.For the record I did not care for third watch either.First couple of seasons of rescue me were great and even old EMERGENCY was more realistic in its portrayal of the job and it was amped up for TV but fell just shy of hokey.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

Buckster

Postby Buckster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:12 am

another prime time soap opera
I may not know karate, but I know KA-razy, and I'm not afraid to use it!

KootenayKid

Postby KootenayKid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Definitely some over the top things, especially the risky situations they were in, roof vent with no SCBA, taking a facepiece off to give it to the other guy etc etc but also caught some of the lesser things. As a rookie on my dept I had to laugh when the guy was stuck with the tour of kids and the stress the job put on the guys relationship. I probably wont go out of my way to watch it but will likely watch occasionally.

As a side, the fact that more ff relate or prefer Rescue Me where he sees ghosts, is an interesting thought

DFC

Postby DFC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:06 pm

[quote=""KootenayKid""]Definitely some over the top things, especially the risky situations they were in, roof vent with no SCBA, taking a facepiece off to give it to the other guy etc etc but also caught some of the lesser things. As a rookie on my dept I had to laugh when the guy was stuck with the tour of kids and the stress the job put on the guys relationship. I probably wont go out of my way to watch it but will likely watch occasionally.

As a side, the fact that more ff relate or prefer Rescue Me where he sees ghosts, is an interesting thought[/quote]

Yeh no one said we had good taste when it comes to TV or movies....
"If you don't know where your going, any road will get you there"