Dive Teams

RIT, Hazmat, Auto-Ex, High Angle and Ropes, Ice/ Water, Confined Spaces, Search & Rescue
frogman608

Dive Teams

Postby frogman608 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Anyone here a member of a dive team or have a dive team at your department?
Last edited by frogman608 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

LTPVFD

Dive Teams

Postby LTPVFD » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:13 pm

Greetings frogman608.

I know that the Calgary Fire Department has an aquatic rescue team that includes diving, swift water, and boat patrols. I had the privilege of taking Dive Rescue 2 course with them many many years ago (before I became involved in the fire service). The dive rescue course was hosted by the CFD and the trainers were from Dive Rescue International.

In many provinces, the RCMP is the authority having jurisdiction. In Ontario the OPP are the authority having jurisdiction. I believe they are very strict about who they let dive. The only non police team that I am aware of in BC is the Terrace Water Rescue team. I believe they have a working agreement with the RCMP to provide dive services due to the distance dive team members must travel in northern BC, but I stand to be corrected. Unfortunately both police agencies (RCMP and OPP) operate in the recovery mode - no such thing as a dive "rescue" team.

I have recently put a training proposal in to our training officer to have swift water rescue at the awareness level incorporated into our training schedule. We have a major river flowing through our town that is a definite drowning hazard when it is running high . I actually just returned from a rescue call at the river - fortunately the victim was able to self extricate after falling in. Had the victim traveled another 100 or so meters down river, we would have been dealing with a drowning.

If you need any further information or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!