OFAI - Technical Skills update

firemed909

Postby firemed909 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:25 am

If we could kindly put all the measuring sticks away.

I've got to recert next month after a yr. I know it's completely changed. Just wondering if anyone that has done it recently is still finding them extremely strict on everything or if it's settled down a bit?

Also any points the seem to be a stumbling block for multiple people that I should watch out for?

Thx

Firefighter0233

Postby Firefighter0233 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 pm

[quote=""firemed909""]

I've got to recert next month after a yr. I know it's completely changed. Just wondering if anyone that has done it recently is still finding them extremely strict on everything or if it's settled down a bit?

Also any points the seem to be a stumbling block for multiple people that I should watch out for?

Thx[/quote]

I have not been through this process recently but I ask you trust my input.

As for your question, are they strict? No. Are they thorough? Yes, very.
(I am not poking at you I am simply being clear please don't take this as a "jab")

The biggest "stumble" made by candidates is the lack of preparation with respect to the skills, specifically EXACTLY how they are laid out in the international standards IFSTA manual. If the book says to maintain 3 points of contact on a ladder and be in control at all times that means no exceptions, if it says tie an over hand safety there is no excuse for skipping it. (Whom ever the instructor is that tells you not to worry about the safeties, I will guarantee you they have never hung off a rope, deviation from a skill that has the word SAFETY in it is an automatic fail under all circumstances and rightfully so.)

I understand that there is a way things are done in "the real world" but you are not being testing on how things are done as a career, volunteer or paid-on-call firefighter, you are being graded on the EXACT way to do things according to the IFSTA essentials, with out deviation. Why would you want to short cut a skill any ways, your risking your safety and life in doing so, the response "because its cool" has gone by the way side in todays fire service. I'm getting off topic haha I digress.

My advice to you is know the skills, recite them in your sleep, you will spend more money and time then you can fathom applying for this job, DO NOT under any circumstances let failing to follow simple instructions step by step get in your way from obtaining the goal. Study the current IFSTA 6 as its the current standard, if you learned on 4 or 5 your out of date by todays testing standards, upgrade to the 6 and re fresh.

I'm sorry if I come across as aggressive but I am trying to be clear and concise, I wish you luck in your testing.

Cheers.

sfd18

Postby sfd18 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Access Rescue has started an OFAI prep course

http://www.accessrescuecanada.com/firef ... eparation/

sfd18

Postby sfd18 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:27 am

Can someone please clarify something for me? First time attempting the OFAI test, but I am a little confused about the online registration setup. It seems that all of the test times start at 08:00. Does that mean if I register for stage 1, 2 and 3, all at 08:00, each test will still be done in order? (dependant upon successful completion, of course)

ajthewonderdog

Postby ajthewonderdog » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:07 pm

[quote=""sfd18""]Can someone please clarify something for me? First time attempting the OFAI test, but I am a little confused about the online registration setup. It seems that all of the test times start at 08:00. Does that mean if I register for stage 1, 2 and 3, all at 08:00, each test will still be done in order? (dependant upon successful completion, of course)[/quote]
Stage 1 & 2 are done on the same day, you'll return another day for stage 3.

sfd18

Postby sfd18 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:30 pm

[quote=""ajthewonderdog""]Stage 1 & 2 are done on the same day, you'll return another day for stage 3.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. However, don't most departments require 1, 2 & 3 to be completed same day? How does that work? Or is the candidate supposed to wait until OFAI offers all 3 in one day (which they currently aren't offering for Apr or May)

Fahrenheit416

Postby Fahrenheit416 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:43 am

departments don't require them to be done on the same day. they just have to be done and valid when you apply (or kept valid during the recruitment process depending on the department).

just had a peek at the schedule.. it does look a little more confusing now than when i went through the process. back then, i did all three stages on different days.

doing stages 1&2 on the same day would definitely cut down on the trips to FESTI.

FF95

Postby FF95 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:22 pm

[quote=""sfd18""]Thanks for the info. However, don't most departments require 1, 2 & 3 to be completed same day? How does that work? Or is the candidate supposed to wait until OFAI offers all 3 in one day (which they currently aren't offering for Apr or May)[/quote]

OFAI will not allow you to complete all three stages in one day... I think you might be be confusing OFAI with Ontario Fire Services (aka Brock) which required all candidates to complete all testing components in one day.

No cheap way about it, you be will required to spend two separate days there to complete all stages.

sfd18

Postby sfd18 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:50 pm

[quote=""FF95""]OFAI will not allow you to complete all three stages in one day... I think you might be be confusing OFAI with Ontario Fire Services (aka Brock) which required all candidates to complete all testing components in one day.

No cheap way about it, you be will required to spend two separate days there to complete all stages.[/quote]

That sounds like it could be where my confusion lies. Thanks for clearing it up.

FireBall17

Fire select test

Postby FireBall17 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Does anybody know the strategy to answering the last section on the fire select test? (Strongly agree, strongly disagree questions).
I know they're probably looking for consistency throughout your answers, but I did that and still came up short.
It's either that section or the other HR section with "most appropriate" "least appropriate" questions that I didn't do too well on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!