Wildland

five_alarm

Wildland

Postby five_alarm » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:08 pm

This is the place to talk about Wildfire and anything related.

Here is a great site to get all the latest after you read and post in our Forum of course.

The Canadian Wildland Fire Information System creates daily fire weather and fire behavior
maps year-round and hot spot maps throughout the forest fire season, generally between
May and September. Committed to providing a complete, easy-to-use, and informative web
site focusing on forest fire conditions in Canada.

Fire Management Systems Group
Canadian Forest Service
Northern Forestry Centre
5320 - 122 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T6H 3S5

Tel.: (780) 435-7210
Fax: (780) 435-7359

Daily Hotspots: cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca

bestcoast

Postby bestcoast » Tue May 03, 2005 6:12 pm

Just stumbled across this crazy picture from the 2003 Forest Fires in BC's Interior.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iamvff

Postby iamvff » Tue May 03, 2005 11:39 pm

I just checked out manitoba's hiring....
$13.14 - $14.05 per hour

heeheehee....haaahhaaahhaaaahhaaa...haaarrrrhhhhaaarrrr

I not thinkin so!!

just my 2 cents worth!
iamvff
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink...BUT...if you hold it's head under long enough, it has to take a gulp sooner or later!" iamvff - 2010

mutts252

Postby mutts252 » Thu May 12, 2005 6:30 pm

MNR in ontario is around $18 an hour... but super hard to get in :-(
opinions are like a__holes... everybody has one.

if you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.

Mansfield

Postby Mansfield » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:59 pm

Any good course you know of that I could take to get all my certifications?
"Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win."

- Bernadette Devlin

Wildfire29

Postby Wildfire29 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:23 pm

[quote=""bestcoast""]Just stumbled across this crazy picture from the 2003 Forest Fires in BC's Interior.....[/quote]

Small correction,

That picture is actually from August 2000 in Montana. It is a crazy picture, there was lots of intense fire behaviour there, you should see my pictures, LOL.

Birdo

Postby Birdo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:30 am

[quote=""Mansfield""]Any good course you know of that I could take to get all my certifications?[/quote]

Most wildland courses are taught once you get hired. The uber-basic S-100 never hurts to have on an application though. An abbreviated version of the S-100 is all they taught me for wildland courses at fire academy, so that is all you should need for strutctural fire. For the Ministry of Forests we don't even care if you have that as it is one of the first things you learn in boot camp anyway.

Other things that BC looks for in a hire that are more important then actual courses are chainsaw experience, Level 3 First Aid (Level 1 w/ transportation endorsement is the minimum), Age, bush experience, leadership experience, small engine maintenance abilities, carpentry, etc.

Rookie wage in BC should be about $18.55 this spring. Application deadline is the end of January. http://www.bcwildfire.ca/Employment/FireFighter/
BC MOF Protection Branch Recruitment Homepage.
http://bcwildfire.ca/Employment/FireFighter/

SRDBoreal1

Incorrect location

Postby SRDBoreal1 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 am

[quote=""bestcoast""]Just stumbled across this crazy picture from the 2003 Forest Fires in BC's Interior.....[/quote]

John McColgan (USFWS) a fire behavior analyst from Fairbanks, Alaska took this picture during the Montana Bitterroot National Forest on August 6, 2000.

Jane_Whitt

Wildland

Postby Jane_Whitt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:15 am

Causes
The four major causes of natural forest fires are burning rays, volcanic eruptions, sparks from falling rocks and fire thousands of spontaneous coal seam combustion.The burning around the world, such as Centralia, Burning Mountain, and several sustainable coal fires in China, also can explode and ignite flammable materials nearby. However, many fires are attributed to human sources such as fires, bad off cigarettes, sparks from equipment, and power line arcs (detected by assigning arc). In societies undergoing shifting cultivation, where land is removed quickly and farmed until the soil loses fertility, slash and burn clearing is often considered the most economical way to prepare the ground for future use. Forested areas authorized by the registration of foster mastery of flammable grasses and abandoned logging roads covered by vegetation can act as brokers of fire. Annual grass fires in southern Vietnam can be attributed in part to the destruction of forests by the U.S. military herbicides, explosives, and mechanical land clearing and burning operations during the Vietnam War.
The most common cause of forest fires varies around the world. In the United States, Canada and northwestern China, for example, lightning is the main source of ignition. In other parts of the world, human intervention is an important factor. In Mexico, Central America, South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, Fiji and New Zealand, fires can be attributed to human activities such as livestock, agriculture, and the burning of land conversion. Human carelessness is a major cause of forest fires in China and the Mediterranean basin. In Australia, the origin of forest fires can be traced to lightning strikes and human activities as well as the chip foundry machinery and cigarette butts away. "