Wildfire training

WildFighter

Wildfire training

Postby WildFighter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:17 am

Hi all.. I am fresh of the boat here so bare with me!

I am physically training myself to have an edge before the WCT. I have been doing the walk test without a pack trying to better my time I started At 16:30 (mins)a mile and am now down to 13:50.walking. I been running for a few days but only recently been able to run 1 mile without walk breaks. I have pain in my legs which is pretty significant but subsides after a hot bath or a day of rest. Is this shin splints and does it go away? Or is it something that should worry me should I run every other day any tips? Also if you could share your average time a mile walking or running i am interested in comparing thx

SoHitD

Postby SoHitD » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:29 am

take it easy lol dont over due your self, I just did the test abotu 2 weeks, coming off an injury and not doing any training just lying on the couch was my only training and i did a 13:30, so as long as your in decent shape you should be able to pass, with that being said it wasnt an easy test though I was pretty tired at the end, mind over matter,

SoHitD

Postby SoHitD » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:30 am

have u done your sp100?

bcFRST

Postby bcFRST » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Could you clarify what test you're referring to/agency you're applying for? The Canadian nat'l standard went to the WFX-FIT (ramp test) about 5 years ago. The old test was the WCT (the pack-test) although perhaps some agencies are still using the name?

In regards to getting in shape, check out the CIFFC site ( http://www.wfx-fit.ca/ ) or any of the provincial fire agency sites for test info and training regimes (ie, http://bcwildfire.ca/employment/firefig ... rogram.pdf ).

Shin splints (MTSS) is a product of uneven muscle support, try balancing your training with some bosu ball work, proper squats and swimming.

Sorry if the above mentioned points are out of left field, i'm still a little confused what test you're training for by just walking a mile? One other thing to consider is that they 14.30 time limit for the CIFFC standard is only the provincial standard in BC and Alberta, as well as the inter-provincial cap. Agencies in the east have substantially lower expectations regarding fitness (not a slight to those agencies at all- different ground, different workplace culture, etc.)

WildFighter

Postby WildFighter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:08 am

I am applying in the USFS. I am referring to the initial pack test or work capacity test...3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45lb back pack

bcFRST

Postby bcFRST » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Ahh, the 'ol pack test! Good times. The biggest part of the test is the mental game, keep pushing at a forced march and you'll be golden (given that you're in decent shape). FYI depending on the type of crew there is also physical fitness standards above and beyond the "Arduous WCT" (aka, the pack test). If you're having trouble with time try the shuffle-step if you're testing on a loose surface, as the rules only state that you have 1 foot on the ground at once. Never actually pulled that move in all seriousness, just goofing around trying to beat the best times on the WCT during recurrency.

To reiterate what was mentioned above, as long as you're at a moderate level of fitness you'll do just fine.

WildFighter

Postby WildFighter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 am

bcFRST. What exactly is a shuffle step? Is it alot different than the two step? (Dumb joke) I feel I am in decent shape. Not up to athlete standards but I'm currently running a mile in about 10 minutes no stops..I weigh approx 230lbs lost 15bs in last few weeks