Asthma

WildFighter

Asthma

Postby WildFighter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 am

Hi all! I been scowering the net trying to find something but didn't really see anything specific to my wonders so I made my own..

I am looking into becoming a wildland firefighter. I had asthma when I was a child from birth til the age of about 8-10. Since the. I stopped my treatment of a nebulizer each night and have had no symptoms. Although sometimes after a straight mile run I'll have a bit of a cough but not all the time.. Does anyone know if it will be an issue for me in this career or you think if I carry an inhaler I'll be ok just i case. I used to smoke cigarettes for about a year or so without incident but I decided to save my lungs for this career!!! I have never even had to use an inhaler since my treatment. Anyone with knowledge on this is much obliged

One more thing, will it show up to the station that I had asthma on my med charts?!

ranger71

Asthma in firefighting

Postby ranger71 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 pm

I have the same health history as you, Asthma, plus environmental allergies. I will be going into my 3rd year of fire and I still haven't had any issues with it.

As long as you can pass the WFX-fit test you shouldn't have a problem with your breathing, for some reason smoke doesn't affect asthma as much as you would think. Definitely carry an inhaler but you shouldn't need it, sucking on halls during the test and while working helps a lot too.

The only times I notice the asthma affecting me is during the test my lungs start to burn pretty bad, and when you are working at high altitude your muscles will get tired faster than others.

The important thing about the PAR-Q health questionnaire you will have to fill out is the definition of having asthma is, currently being treated for asthma by a doctor, most health questions don't care about childhood asthma.

So don't worry about it, do the WFX-fit test and if you get national you won't have any problems. Nobody I work with has noticed my asthma, and I doubt anyone you will be working with will either.

ranger71

Postby ranger71 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:27 pm

just realized you are applying in the states, the info stays the same but the fitness test will be different.