Questions on wildfire firefighting jobs for foreigneers.

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:33 pm

Questions on wildfire firefighting jobs for foreigneers.

Postby Swede_H » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi! I am a guy from sweden who would love to get help with a few questions!

Basically, is it possible for foreigners to apply for wildfire firefighting seasonal work?
Also is there any common problems that I need to solve, will my swedish/european driving license be acceptable in canada etc.

I have looked at the requirements that was shown in an old article, are these the common requirements? (First aid course 1, Drivers certificate).
Do you think military experience and general outdoorsmanship, fire protection related studies and internships at fire stations in another country are considered a plus?

I have been trying to find some answers on this but don´t really know where to start looking. I hope I have written my questions in a clear way, if it is something you don´t understand please give me a shout and I will try to clarify.

Thank you for the help.

Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:33 pm

Postby infernobuster » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Not sure about your licensing question .. but youll first have to take an approved S-100 course to be considered here.

Be aware that they start hiring people for the season in late feb and into March.

The season varies depending on where you go, and how the weather has been during the spring/summer months.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

User avatar
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:33 pm

Postby fortsmithman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Here in the NWT they started hiring around May.

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:33 pm

Postby Backburn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:21 pm

The answers to all of your questions will vary depending on the province you're interested in fighting fire in. For example infernobuster seems to be talking about working in Ontario because nothing he said is accurate for Alberta and I know those guys need S-100 prior to getting a job. Your best bet is to look at the different hiring requirements for each province. In the wild land thread they have the websites for each of the different provinces wild land fire programs.

In Alberta you do not need the S-100 course if you make it through the hiring process they will teach you all of the basics in a payed 9 day course. The rest of the training (most of it) is done on the job. The application deadline is Nov. 30 (I believe). We have definitely hired foreigners before and they would, most definitely, look favourably on most of those things you mentioned. As to the licensing, you definitely need a valid drivers license but whether or not a Swedish license is eligible you will have to contact the registry or Department of motor vehicles in the province your interested in to get more info. if you type Alberta wildfire crews into google it should bring you to the appropriate page. I was going to attach the URL but this forum won't let me.

As I said there is a list of the rest of the provinces in a previous post.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest