Badges

General equipment discussion.
FiremanLGT

Postby FiremanLGT » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:33 pm

[quote=""oldboot""]If you have to buy your own badge the simple question should be, why do you need one?[/quote]

EXACTLY!!!

Cops are ISSUED a BADGE because technically they are never really off duty....so that's why they are issued them and the permission to carry their firearm.

But us firemen are just regular folk when we aren't at work....sure we have some first aid skills and such to help out if the need ever arose outside of work, and some experience with throwing water on the red stuff but I don't think yelling off duty "Freeze...I'm a firefighter (while flashing my badge)....everything is under control" is going to do anyone any good. I just can't see any need for a badge...just reeks of being pretentious. To each their own though.
"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sammo76

Postby Sammo76 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:32 pm

[quote=""oldboot""]If you have to buy your own badge the simple question should be, why do you need one?[/quote]

corona's don't have twist off lids yet.

Profire

Postby Profire » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:58 pm

[quote=""capteddie""]No suprise with that post. Since your profile pic is your union logo.
I'm just not a fan of unions. Whats the CAW done for the auto workers latley ? Oh yeah, & I feel soo bad for the cupie workers in TO. Suck it up & be glad you have a job in these days.

By the way, the working class around here are not low class.[/quote]

Few around here would be surprised to discover I was a proud union member, in truth there are few IAFF members who are not proud of their union affiliation.

I can see from your comments you are not a fan of unions, as I have previously mentioned I am a fan.The Toronto unions that are on strike are in a legal position to do so and as DH said have legitimate issues.

The CAW did not create the problems the auto industry faces, executives making millions of dollars a year in bonuses, every year while driving their companies into the ground did so. As did the fact that they continue to manufacture an inferior product and refuse to adapt to their customers needs.

I did not say people who live in your area were low class, just that they are low class sort of union members if they are not proud of their affiliations.
Professional Union Firefighter and proud of it![sigpic][/sigpic]

PFD023

Postby PFD023 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:19 pm

[quote=""Sammo76""]corona's don't have twist off lids yet.[/quote]

Exactly! Works on lifting the tab on canned chili too!

For some vollie depts who issue them it's a tool when it comes to retention. Whatever it takes to keep your guys on.....some vollie depts struggle to keep their guys/girls...so if giving them a badge helps abit to keep them on ...so be it.

oldboot

Postby oldboot » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:33 am

[quote=""PFD023""]Exactly! Works on lifting the tab on canned chili too!

For some vollie depts who issue them it's a tool when it comes to retention. Whatever it takes to keep your guys on.....some vollie depts struggle to keep their guys/girls...so if giving them a badge helps abit to keep them on ...so be it.[/quote]

I know a Swiss Army is better at opening Corona and cans of whatever. Just ask MacGyver
You also can have your FD name or emblem engraved on it for those with a retention problem ( like that will make a difference)
However I don’t recommend flashing your knife at a cop after he pulled you over for speeding :rolleyes:
Last edited by oldboot on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

capteddie

Postby capteddie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:03 pm

[quote=""Profire""]Few around here would be surprised to discover I was a proud union member, in truth there are few IAFF members who are not proud of their union affiliation.

I can see from your comments you are not a fan of unions, as I have previously mentioned I am a fan.The Toronto unions that are on strike are in a legal position to do so and as DH said have legitimate issues.

The CAW did not create the problems the auto industry faces, executives making millions of dollars a year in bonuses, every year while driving their companies into the ground did so. As did the fact that they continue to manufacture an inferior product and refuse to adapt to their customers needs.

I did not say people who live in your area were low class, just that they are low class sort of union members if they are not proud of their affiliations.[/quote]

Thats why we live in this great country. We can each have our own opions & express them, nuf said.

Just to add the to thread out badges. I prefer to use my sparky the fire dog badge to get out of tickets. :)

stay safe

fireguy9

Postby fireguy9 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:08 pm

[quote=""deevo""]http://www.oafc.on.ca/content_details.a ... %20Careers

Here you go, you can pad your pension! We're looking for another Deputy Chief! You can get a fancy new badge too![/quote]

make more then that,,,,, top rate as 1st class

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:22 pm

[quote=""deevo""]Exactly.....that's why I'm not applying either, looking after 150 firefighters,equipement, training etc etc.....bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! plus its mon-fri! Who wants to work mon-fri? Be good for someone who wants to do alot for less I guess![/quote]
Mon to Fri, noooo! I'm looking forward to my new shift pattern, 24 off, 24 off and so on! :D
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

Profire

Postby Profire » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:26 pm

[quote=""capteddie""]Thats why we live in this great country. We can each have our own opions & express them, nuf said.

Just to add the to thread out badges. I prefer to use my sparky the fire dog badge to get out of tickets. :)

stay safe[/quote]

Fair enough
Professional Union Firefighter and proud of it![sigpic][/sigpic]

HightowerAcres

Postby HightowerAcres » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 pm

[quote=""FiremanLGT""]

Cops are ISSUED a BADGE because technically they are never really off duty....so that's why they are issued them and the permission to carry their firearm. [/quote]

Is a volunteer FF ever off duty? this whole issue is about IDENTIFICATION! and being who you say you are. A badge is meaningless without the proper identification to back it up.

Police are issued a warrant card to prove they are police, the badge just makes the uniform look good. I can buy a police badge on ebay and tell the ladies at the bar all that I want about busting grow ops. As for the firearm......... ahh maybe I'll leave that alone.

no disrespect intended.