Best firefighting knife

General equipment discussion.
rogerh

Best firefighting knife

Postby rogerh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:30 pm

I want to know what everyone carries on their bunker gear for knives. I have looked at the Gerber as well as Smith & Wesson.

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 pm

[quote=""rogerh""]I want to know what everyone carries on their bunker gear for knives. I have looked at the Gerber as well as Smith & Wesson.[/quote]

I carry a Smith and Wesson and it is by far the best tactical knife that I have ever had.
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

Dubya

Postby Dubya » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 am

I have a McNett rescue knife from MEC on my turnout coat. Works great, easy to handle with my gloves on. The serrated side cuts seatbelts easily.

I found I had a hard time getting an edge on the straight side at first, but once I got that sorted, it took and held an edge beautifully.
"I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
- R. MacLeod

PFD023

Postby PFD023 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

http://www.mossingtonknives.com/index.html

Tell him what you want and if he hasn't made it yet he can probably do it for you.

You'll pay more for his stuff......but it will last you a lifetime......beautiful work.

ps.....I've seen his Harley Davidson knife.....forged from a Harley chain....if I had the $$'s I'd buy it.

FiremanLarry

Postby FiremanLarry » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:14 pm

I am still using the same Gerber Multi-tool I bought 10+years ago.

couchyfireman

Postby couchyfireman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Smith & Wesson is nice, I have one. Take a look at a Swiss army, also nice.

North_of_60

Postby North_of_60 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:22 pm

[quote=""rogerh""] I have looked at the Gerber as well as Smith & Wesson.[/quote]

I have the Gerber Hinderer Rescue Knife (http://www.thefirestore.com/store/produ ... ted_blade/ )

This is the second one I have had (lost the first and missed it so much I got another one) and I carry it with me all the time. I love this knife and have used it in all sorts of senarios from rescues to everyday openening of boxes. Although the window punch isn't spring loaded like the S&W, I have never had an issue beaking glass, the seatbelt cutter works for seatbelts as well as zapstraps etc, and I like the fact that the serations on the blade still allow you to cut everyday materials. I have also used the O2 wrench several times and it is so much easier than trying to find the wrench in the middle of an emergency.

I know that both the Gerber and the S&W (several of the firefighters in our hall have these) are both quality tools and you will be happy woth either, but I can tell you I like the Gerber and it has worked well under all sorts of conditions for me. (Gerber should be giving me a commission for this ;) )

Good luck on your decision!

North of 60

PS....PFD023 - Just Do IT!
They drop the ball....We get the call

DFCSmash - "THAT, North_of_60, is the best damned response yet to this thread."

laughinghard

Postby laughinghard » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Never been attacked in a fire...so I haven't needed one yet!

Dubya

Postby Dubya » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Never been attacked in a fire...so I haven't needed one yet!
Sounds like somebody never got taught properly what a knife is for :p

Hardly a call goes by that I don't need my knife for something.
"I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
- R. MacLeod

LTPVFD

Knives

Postby LTPVFD » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:30 am

Don't carry a knife in my turnout gear, but usually have my Swiss Army knife in my pocket. ;) Accessible if I need it. I do carry other cutting tools in my gear such as a seat belt cutter, and super shears.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!