Best firefighting knife

General equipment discussion.
deevo

Postby deevo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:13 am

[quote=""itsnotahobby""]I carry a Smith and Wesson and it is by far the best tactical knife that I have ever had.[/quote]

Me too, have 3 of them! But only carry one in my bunger gear.

Hacienda216

Postby Hacienda216 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:43 pm

[quote=""deevo""]Me too, have 3 of them! But only carry one in my bunger gear.[/quote]

You wanna talk "tactical" we can talk tactical. That's my newest edition in the kydex sheath on my belt; the Ka-Bar TDI. My trusty Benchmade Mini-Griptilian clips on my pocket on the other side. In terms of just a general knife, you can't beat Benchmade. Quality materials, top-notch craftsmanship (for an assembly-line anyway) smooth, well designed action and sturdy locking mechanisms - just don't make a habit of losing them; it could get pricey, haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deevo

Postby deevo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 am

[quote=""Hacienda216""]You wanna talk "tactical" we can talk tactical. That's my newest edition in the kydex sheath on my belt; the Ka-Bar TDI. My trusty Benchmade Mini-Griptilian clips on my pocket on the other side. In terms of just a general knife, you can't beat Benchmade. Quality materials, top-notch craftsmanship (for an assembly-line anyway) smooth, well designed action and sturdy locking mechanisms - just don't make a habit of losing them; it could get pricey, haha.[/quote]

Nice........... they let you have something that sharp though?

Hacienda216

Postby Hacienda216 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:39 pm

[quote=""deevo""]Nice........... they let you have something that sharp though?[/quote]

I graduated from the one on the left but they'll still only let me carry this on the right.... :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deevo

Postby deevo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:54 pm

[quote=""Hacienda216""]I graduated from the one on the left but they'll still only let me carry this on the right.... :( [/quote]

Good work, see patience pays off!

big_country

Postby big_country » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:08 pm

[quote=""rogerh""]I want to know what everyone carries on their bunker gear for knives. I have looked at the Gerber as well as Smith & Wesson.[/quote]

I carry a S&W

FMB7207

Postby FMB7207 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:38 am

Gerber LMF...more like a pry bar with an edge.

RSturman

Postby RSturman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 pm

I carry a Gerber and it's great

AxeInHand

Postby AxeInHand » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm

I must have had a lemon, because my S&W broke under routine use (and routine use is even being generous). Went back to what works: Nothin' but Gerber for me
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

DangerMan

Postby DangerMan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 pm

I carry the Spyderco Rescue Assist, in orange. Razor sharp edge (made from outstanding VG-10 steel), easy to clip to your pant pockets and easy to pull the blade without removing your gloves. The scales are excellent, made of fibre-reinforced nylon and with a seriously anti-slip texture. The nose of the blade is flattened for safety. YOu can get your hands on it for about $100 on the net.... Well worth the money, it will serve you well when you need it.

A common mistake I see a lot of FFs do is carry a «tactical» knife with some cool lettering like swat or police / fire badge on it with a very pointed tip and quick-dulling blade made from crappy steel. Don`t go there. As a FF, you carry a knife to CUT stuff, not to stab people you`re trying to help.

Generally I avoid any S&W knife. Gerbers can be OK, but be careful which ones. The LMF series are very rust resistant, but the blade dulls real fast. That`s why they come with integrated sharpener....The LST Magnum (about $25) is great value for money.

Hope this helps.