Options for those who wear glasses

General equipment discussion.
dirtykorbz

Options for those who wear glasses

Postby dirtykorbz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 am

Hello everyone I was wondering what options there is for those of us who dont have 20/20 vision.

I know that there is eye glass inserts for SCBA masks however I was looking for a RX plastic wrap that I could put on my mask, is there such a thing? Contacts are another option but they wont be very helpful when I roll out of bed a 4AM.

I hope to have surgery someday to fix my eyes but until then im still hard of seeing. Any help is appreciated!
@dirtykorbz

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey Korbz,

inserts are readily available and can fit into your facepiece for a relatively minimal charge. I'd inquire to your station captain (or senior officer). The Inserts are permanently placed there, you may need your own facepiece if you aren't issued one off the bat

If you have a drug plan you can get the lenses put in place at a lenscrafters, hakim or prescription eyewear store
How the hell did I end up here?????

RSturman

Postby RSturman » Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm

I don't wear glasses so I don't have any personal recommendations, but maybe one of these will help: http://www.spectaclekits.com/, http://www.smokespec.com/

KootenayKid

Postby KootenayKid » Fri May 03, 2013 1:38 am

I'm going through the process of getting the inserts now but it is my understanding that they are removable for when I have my contacts in. I have been throwing them in quickly at night when the tones go off and still make it to the truck in good time - the driver is usually checking the map anyways. I definitely don't dally but my ultimate goal is laser surgery.

FF95

Postby FF95 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:22 am

Look into orthokeratogy... Instead of putting contacts in at night you would be taking thm out..
Essentially, it does the same thing as laser surgery. Flattens your cornea while you sleep and when you pop them out you have 20/20 vision if not better. After wearing them for some time, its not uncommon to go 2 days without having to wear them again with maintaining good vision. Best thing is, it's reversible. You simply stop wearing them. I've been told by 2 opthamologist (both able to do the surgery) to not get laser surgery, I'd regret it by the time I was 40 (approx. 10 yrs away). I know ppl who have had excellent results with laser surgery and know ppl that have had poor results.

Just another option out there that's a fraction of the cost of laser.

FireComms1

Postby FireComms1 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:55 am

I'm currently wearing night lenses. It works but it's a slow process...the end result with be better vision without surgery !! :)

GreddyHovs

Postby GreddyHovs » Sat May 10, 2014 12:05 pm

I also wear contact lenses. My Optometrist has advised me that I am able to wear my contacts at night, even though when I do wake up for a call, they're a bit "stuck". I keep a bottle water on my seat and give them a quick rub with wet hands. I know I'll get corrective surgery eventually.