Cbrn Paramedics?????

FLASHOVER05

Cbrn Paramedics?????

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 am

I was heading northbound on Bayview just south of the Don Valley On-ramp, noticed an Ambulance heading the opposite direction I took a look at the broad side, it was marked as CBRN Ambulance.

Is this a new addition to our ever changing society? How are the Paramedics trained?

Their website makes no reference to them.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:15 am

[quote=""FLASHOVER05""]I was heading northbound on Bayview just south of the Don Valley On-ramp, noticed an Ambulance heading the opposite direction I took a look at the broad side, it was marked as CBRN Ambulance.

Is this a new addition to our ever changing society? How are the Paramedics trained?

Their website makes no reference to them.[/quote]

CBRN and tactical medics are part of special ops.I worked in special ops and was part of the public order unit and the emergency support unit.They are all level III medics.Their daily deployment was still being argued btn mgt and the union when I left.

Each unit evolved over the years based on operational needs.The POU was brought in during the economic summit in 1987,ESU after a major incident in 1982 the tac guys around 1990 at the request of the police, CBRN post Sept 11.

CBRN medics apply from the position from within the dept.They must pass a written test a fit test and inteview with a panel consisting of EMS,Police and Fire personel.They will then be trained the training is extensive including a 3 week stint at CFB sheffield wher they train with the military in chemical warfare medicine and related operations.

The other special ops such as the tac unit and the marine unit are largely based on your interview with the police Staff inspectors and sargeants.Marine unit,POU and CBRN applicants have to pass the same fit test as an applicant to MTP the tac medics do that, plus they must succesfully complete the ETF fitness test.I have never done it but I can assure you it makes the York and the CPAT look like a day at the beach.I have seen it done and know several guys and galls who have done it.

They are great units to get on and help break up the monotony of heart hip stroke calls and a nice break from the drunks and psych patients.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

lim075

Postby lim075 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Is that the medics within the CJIRU?