Alberta Ambulance takeover on hold

five_alarm

Alberta Ambulance takeover on hold

Postby five_alarm » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:37 pm

CALGARY, AB - Pulses are on the rise among city EMS crews, as the clock ticks down to a takeover of paramedic services by the Calgary Health Region. Bruce Robb, president of the city paramedic union, said uncertainty over the April 2005 takeover, as ordered by the province, has ambulance workers nervous -- especially as not a scrap of information has been made public. "It's brought up to me on a daily basis, and it's the big unknown," said Robb. "We don't know anything about what will happen on April 1 ... we're stuck in lim-bo." The province has ordered municipal ambulance services to become a health region responsibility by April 2005, and in the case of the CHR, that means 14 separate EMS services will be joined as one. The province will allow some municipal EMS services, including those with integrated ambulance and fire services, to still operate under contract with the CHR. For Robb, who speaks for 350 Calgary paramedics and EMTs, the biggest concern is not the takeover, but what happens afterwards as the CHR struggles to maintain the same level of service.

Source: calgarysun.com

Related Story

five_alarm

What's the plan?

Postby five_alarm » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:42 pm

EDMONTON, AB - Unions representing paramedics across Alberta say they have grave concerns about the province's plans to roll ambulance services into the care of health authorities. "The idea is to bring all the rural areas up to the service levels in cities," said Lou Arab, a spokesman for the Canadian Union of Public Employees, or CUPE. "But the province hasn't really specified what the service levels are and they haven't put out any hard figures." Rural standards for ambulance service are supposed to be improved, but CUPE worries what might actually happen is a lowering of urban standards to line the two up, Arab said. "We are concerned this plan will generally reduce the quality of ambulance service across the province. It's cause for concern for those of us living in urban areas." David Kirkham, spokesman for the Health Sciences Association of Alberta which represents rural paramedics, said there are already worries about rural ambulance services. Many rely not on paramedics but on emergency medical technicians, who can't perform life-saving emergency procedures such as intubating a patient, he said.

Source: Edmonton Sun

five_alarm

Ambulance takeover on hold

Postby five_alarm » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:49 pm

EDMONTON, AB - Health Minister Iris Evans says the province may delay the process of taking over ambulance services in Alberta from municipalities because of higher than expected costs. Operating ground ambulance services could cost the province as much as $120 million a year or more, which is dramatically higher than the estimated $55 million.

"I'm not saying that (the province will back out)," Evans said yesterday. "I'm saying there are options we can look at. We can look at phasing it in or going with the areas where people are more prepared and where we believe the costs are reasonable. We just have some additional work to do."

FireEMTGuy

Postby FireEMTGuy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:27 pm

Yep, My Chief passed around a fax fom Capital Health explaining their actions and reasoning. Being in an Integrated service we are confidant that capital health will leave us alone but at the moment anything is possible. Time will tell.

five_alarm

Ambulance fears raised

Postby five_alarm » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:33 pm

EDMONTON, AB - It won't be an emergency in many towns and cities if the province reneges on its promise to take over ambulance service in just over a month. But others are alarmed that the government might pull the plug on long-standing plans to fund ambulance service through regional health authorities.

"We're relying totally on the promise made by the government that, as of April 1, they would ensure that the health regions would take over the ambulance service in Alberta, 100%," said Grande Prairie Mayor Wayne Ayling.

five_alarm

Ambulance transfer off, municipalities angry

Postby five_alarm » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:17 pm

EDMONTON, AB – The province will put off transferring ambulance services to regional health authorities for at least a year, because of the escalating price tag.

And the move – one month before the transfer was supposed to take place – is drawing fire from opposition parties and municipal leaders who anticipated getting the cost off their books.

"Disbelief, really, as one would feel when one was given a commitment and then, almost at the last moment, the commitment – with such wide-ranging impacts – is unilaterally withdrawn," Hinton Mayor Glen Taylor said. "We're not the ones with any money. We don't have a surplus.

Source: calgary.cbc.ca

DFCSmash

Postby DFCSmash » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:31 pm

Oh, that Ralph. Whatta kidder. Aren't you glad he's still in charge. It should make it easier for the next king of Alberta. Raphie boy is doing his best to make sure nobody misses him when he's gone. :rolleyes:
This is of course only my opinion. But then again, what else matters? It is not necessarily the opinion or policy of the department I belong to or the community I live in.

DCCHam "I agree with DFCSmash though"
goosebump "I have to agree with DFCSMASH"
iamvff "I need to borrow some of that good ole common sense of yours"
ScubaJude "DFCS-Great Reply"
PellattFire "I like your way of thinking though"

Proud member of the National Sarcasm Society
"Like we need your support"

LFD_FF17

Postby LFD_FF17 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:35 pm

I will miss him. He made this Province the best province in Canada. Everyone screws up once in a while. And I still personally think that Ambulances should be part of the fire department. Not as an integrated service but along the same lines as New York. Ambulances and Fire trucks but Paramedics and Firefighters not paramedic-firefighters.
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

IACOJ

RIP SMASH

five_alarm

Towns scramble to find ambulance money

Postby five_alarm » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:34 pm

BOW VALLEY, AB - Municipal officials throughout the Bow Valley were reeling with "disappointment and frustration" yesterday after the Province announced the cancellation of an ambulance transfer project a year in the making.

The announcement, made by Alberta Health and Wellness Minister Iris Evans on Tuesday afternoon (March 1), sent finance officers scrambling to find dollars to fund eight months worth of ambulance funding previously unbudgeted for.

The figures are not insignificant. In Banff, officials are looking for more than $150,000. In the Improvement District 9 in Banff National Park, it's estimated to be about $250,000. In Canmore, it could be as high as $300,000 that has to be found.

Source: outlook-rockies.ca

five_alarm

Ambulance plan back to province

Postby five_alarm » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:37 pm

EDMONTON, AB - The Alberta Urban Municipalities Association has pitched a proposal to Health Minister Iris Evans to revive a plan for the province to take over ambulance services. AUMA president Bob Hawkesworth, a Calgary alderman, said he met with Evans yesterday to make his case.

"Essentially, the proposal I made to the minister was that as of April 1 the province should still continue to assume funding of municipal ambulance services and that they should do so by reimbursing municipalities for the tax-supported portions of ground ambulance services for the coming year," Hawkesworth said yesterday.