PEI Gov't plans ambulance merger

Ladymedic

Postby Ladymedic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:22 pm

My sympathies to all of you at Island EMS, perhaps you will be better served in PEI than we have been here in Ontario. :mad:

five_alarm

PEI's South Shore Chamber learns about Island EMS

Postby five_alarm » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:52 am

CHARLOTTETOWN, PEI - The May meeting of the South Shore Chamber of Commerce was held at Englewood school....The guest speaker was Dale Bartlett, acting general manager of Island EMS. He was introduced by Auld. EMS was selected as the bidder of choice in February to design and implement an enhanced ambulance paramedic system for P.E.I., by the Department of Health. Bartlett has the acting general manager of EMS for 27 years and is now a regional manager....
Source: theguardian.pe.ca

smoke286

Postby smoke286 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Ladymedic wrote:My sympathies to all of you at Island EMS, perhaps you will be better served in PEI than we have been here in Ontario. :mad:
Oh don't worry Ladymedic, In conversation with my brthern from N.S. and N.B. this past week. The service in Atlantic Canada has just as many problems as those you eluded to in Ontario
24/7, as long as the city can afford the O/T

CrazyLadder

Postby CrazyLadder » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:01 pm

In my personal opinion, the quality of emergency medical service increased considerably when EMS took the reins. Everyone now works from a single operational plan, reaching a common level of training and professionallism. Sure there are idiots in the bunch, but unfortunately the world is full of them. They seem to weed themselves out over time. As for Dale Bartlett, I've known him for a long time. He knows his stuff and will do what it takes to ensure that the Island gets the service it deserves.

Ladymedic

Postby Ladymedic » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:10 pm

It wasn't the service I was alluding to CrazyLadder, but CUPE. Suffice to say we are NOT pleased with them right now. :rolleyes:

smoke286

Postby smoke286 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:27 am

CrazyLadder wrote:In my personal opinion, the quality of emergency medical service increased considerably when EMS took the reins. Everyone now works from a single operational plan, reaching a common level of training and professionallism. Sure there are idiots in the bunch, but unfortunately the world is full of them. They seem to weed themselves out over time. As for Dale Bartlett, I've known him for a long time. He knows his stuff and will do what it takes to ensure that the Island gets the service it deserves.
I wasn't refering to the individuals either, but the cost. If one doubles the ammount one spends on EMS, you can't help but improve the service

CrazyLadder

Postby CrazyLadder » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:14 am

Copy That...Crazyladder out!

ffmedic38

Postby ffmedic38 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:15 am

I work in NS as a full-time field medic and casual in the provincial dispatch centre. As gbayers mentioned, things here are much better now than in the "old operator days" when we worked out of funeral homes.

Working conditions, pay, hours, standardized equipment and ambulances (which are routinely serviced), training...everything has improved. We also have standardized provincial protocols and procedures, and an air medical transport unit (EHS Lifeflight).

As gbayers also said, there is still room to grow and improve, but isn't this the case with anything?

For more info on Emergency Medical Care, visit http://www.emci.ca
Facts still exist, even if they are ignored.

smoke286

Postby smoke286 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:01 am

Again, I don't agree with for-profit businesses being involved in Emergency Services

cdares

Postby cdares » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:21 pm

smoke286 wrote:Again, I don't agree with for-profit businesses being involved in Emergency Services
Smoke: I really don't understand what the problem is- of course more money, improved services- and that is the real outcome that you want- Improved customer service...we're doing things in NS that either alot of Canadian services can't do because of cost for training or cost for equipment- and it's all improving our overall customer service and patient outcome- that's what we're here for, or the last time I checked anyway...