Heart attack victim miffed by hospital policy

five_alarm

Heart attack victim miffed by hospital policy

Postby five_alarm » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:20 pm

SASKATOON, SK - A Saskatoon man who had a heart attack and went to the City Hospital emergency room 15 minutes before the doors opened says he can't understand why hospital staff called an ambulance instead of letting him in for treatment.

On March 15, Ron Bitz, 40, had crushing chest pains, and his brother drove him to City Hospital because it was the closest, Bitz said. When they arrived, the ER door was locked. Bitz's brother picked up a phone outside the hospital to call for help.

Staff inside the hospital called an ambulance for Bitz, and paramedics attended to him for about 10 minutes until the ER opened at 9 a.m., he said. "You're just left to wonder, how can I be at a hospital and have to have an ambulance attend to me?" he said.

Source: canada.com

colin911

Postby colin911 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:42 pm

This has to be a joke .... I cannot believe something like this could/would happen. When or why would an emergency room ever closed? And to refuse a patient until it opened 15 minutes later? I thought Ontario's hospitals were in rough shape.
I'm running a fever and the only cure is more cowbell.

bestcoast

Postby bestcoast » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Mount Saint Joseph in East Vancouver closes their ER at 8 pm. I have gone on numerous calls for chest pains, etc from the pay phone just outside the ER doors after hours. VGH is a short distance away but seconds do count..........BC.........

Punctualdeer

Postby Punctualdeer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:43 pm

It happent last year near lac St-Jean, Quebec. A man call an ambulance for heart problem and he was leaving near the hospital at 1 klm. The hospital refuse to take care of him because they were closing . So they had to transport him 60 klm. away and he die.