Patient transfers

luc_r59

Patient transfers

Postby luc_r59 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:45 pm

im a young volunteer firefighter, looking for a career in firefighting. I thought that some medical experiance in patient transfer would do me good. Can anyone tell me about patient transfer in Ontario. ie. what kind of training you need, pay, how hard it is to get a job etc etc. ive looked through all these threads and i havent found any information about it, so anything you guys could tell me would be great.
thanks

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:38 pm

luc_r59 wrote:im a young volunteer firefighter, looking for a career in firefighting. I thought that some medical experiance in patient transfer would do me good. Can anyone tell me about patient transfer in Ontario. ie. what kind of training you need, pay, how hard it is to get a job etc etc. ive looked through all these threads and i havent found any information about it, so anything you guys could tell me would be great.
thanks

There is one in Hamilton called Ontario Patient Transport, they have info on their website regarding employment/qualifications etc, it may also relate to other services, see link below

http://www.opt-med.com/employment.htm

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:23 pm

Depending on where you live and where you want to work there are several options available to you such as

OPT- Hamilton, Niagara, Wentworth
Voyageur- London, Cambridge
CMR- Toronto, Scarborough, Peel, Halton
Ambulans- Durham (I think) York Region
RNR- Simcoe
Ambutrans- Toronto, York Region
Travois Peterborough, Ottawa
Paladin Toronto
Sands
Quality Both service the Kingston ottawa regions

Some companies require certain requirements such as

Class "F" licence
Paramedic student
Aemca or Emca
First Responder
CPR and First Aid

But it all depends on the company
If you need more info feel free to PM me
How the hell did I end up here?????

Iceman26

Postby Iceman26 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:59 pm

luc_r59 wrote:im a young volunteer firefighter, looking for a career in firefighting. I thought that some medical experiance in patient transfer would do me good. Can anyone tell me about patient transfer in Ontario. ie. what kind of training you need, pay, how hard it is to get a job etc etc. ive looked through all these threads and i havent found any information about it, so anything you guys could tell me would be great.
thanks
I work at Ontario Patient Transfer in Hamilton. We have lots of volly ffs and lots of paramedic students as well as paramedics waiting for a service to hire them. All that is required is EFR or EMR and a G license. The EFR and EMR will only help your fire resume if you don't already anyway.
Some of the services listed in the above post are owned by OPT so you might want to check with them first. This job is probably the most fun I have ever had going to work! So go for it, if you want any more info feel free to PM me or ask in this thread. Be glad to help. Good luck!

cmollison

Postby cmollison » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 am

Its good experience but I would be careful. I cant speak for the other companies out there but I worked for a company called Ambu-Serve for a year. I would drive all day 18 hours get 45 minutes of sleep and be out again for another 23 hours. This would situation would happen atleast twice a week. Needless to say I got fed up refused a call from hamilton to detriot (i had to drive, partner didnt drive) after an 18 hour day.

Last I heard they were shut down by the tax man for tax invasion.

S2Steeda

Postby S2Steeda » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:12 pm

^^ ha nice..... and not all that shocking.....

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:07 pm

cmollison wrote:Its good experience but I would be careful. I cant speak for the other companies out there but I worked for a company called Ambu-Serve for a year. I would drive all day 18 hours get 45 minutes of sleep and be out again for another 23 hours. This would situation would happen atleast twice a week. Needless to say I got fed up refused a call from hamilton to detriot (i had to drive, partner didnt drive) after an 18 hour day.

Last I heard they were shut down by the tax man for tax invasion.
I remember Ambu Swerve..... Even worked with a few of them in the past, Its definetly a business that needs someone to oversee it's activities.

The private service is one to tread cautiously into... They consider you an "Ambulance Driver" in which case you don't receive overtime pay, however these services often follow the local Taxi acts which is why they can get away with employees with only G class licences....

I've heard of people working upwards of 20 consecutive hours with these types of companies with only six or seven hour rest periods between "shifts"
How the hell did I end up here?????

YammieR6_24

Opt

Postby YammieR6_24 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:29 pm

I used to work for OPT with Iceman before I got hired. Its not bad for a resume job. OPT at least doesn't force you to work over 12 hours it is company policy that its your choice to work past 12 hours or at least it was. Pay is about the same no matter what transfer company you work for. $11.00 an hour and you have to buy your own uniforms, you won't get rich doing it or sometimes not even pay the rent. It helps if you have a second higher paying job if you are just doing it for the experience. OPT also does special/sporting events so you get to do some emergency first aid. Lots of guys/girls are doing it to get on either fire or paramedics.

FFBALLARD

Patient transfers

Postby FFBALLARD » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:05 pm

I worked for Travois for about 10 months. Travois, Paladin and OPT are all owned by the same individuals. These companies are an absolute joke! It was not uncommom to go 14-16 hours a day non stop. The vehicles in which you are transporting these patients are used ambulances, which is fine, but I believe the lowest odometer reading on the fleet where I worked was about 280000; these trucks shake, rattle, stall, catch on fire, you name it! Management (At my base) was practically non-existent and there is no where to go when you have concerns to express. Shortly after I left, the employees that were able to handle working there, unionized, so maybe things are different, but in general I would be wary of these businesses. Since you have posted on the firehall.com site I assume you are seeking out a professional position as a firefighter, If that is the case, I believe a trade is the way to go. But hey, I have yet to be hired, so don't take my word for it.

Firefightermedic

Transfer Services

Postby Firefightermedic » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:59 pm

I dont believe that transfer services will help you become a Firefighter. However its good experence for Paramedic students.