Patient transfers

Iceman26

Postby Iceman26 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:35 am

Firefightermedic wrote:I dont believe that transfer services will help you become a Firefighter. However its good experence for Paramedic students.
It gives you experience in customer service, very big in fire departments minds, knowledge of the ambulance and where things are kept, experience driving something bigger than a Hond Civic, experience moving patients that are not ambulatory, experience using a stretcher which has come in handy more than once on a medical call when one paramedic is bagging and another is busy with something else. The list goes on. Just about every job you do can have a positive impact in some respect to the fire departments.
After doing patient transfers for two years I can personally attest that there is some valuable experience there!

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:32 pm

It's been the better part of two years now for me within a transfer service in one form or another, I always figured it's going to help me gain experience in the emergency world... and in some ways it has, I've become familiar with emergency rooms and staff, especially how to take vitals in a bouncing ambulance aswell as "give report",

I think ultimately your job is what you make of it!

Iceman26

Postby Iceman26 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:38 am

I see OPT is in a bit of poopoo right now with the Labor Relations Board. A group of people have had discussions with one of the unions about organizing, so OPT fired all 11 of them. (read in Thurs. Hamilton Spectator)

Scuba

Postby Scuba » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:56 am

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Hahaha not surprised.....

I've spoken to people within that organization that have told me of a similar incident with them....

Another Patient Transfer Service neglecting and refusing to treat their employees with respect.

cmollison

Postby cmollison » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:55 pm

Sounds like they were run like Ambu-Serve when I worked for them.

INFERNO21

Postby INFERNO21 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:53 pm

FFBALLARD wrote:I worked for Travois for about 10 months. Travois, Paladin and OPT are all owned by the same individuals. These companies are an absolute joke! It was not uncommom to go 14-16 hours a day non stop. The vehicles in which you are transporting these patients are used ambulances, which is fine, but I believe the lowest odometer reading on the fleet where I worked was about 280000; these trucks shake, rattle, stall, catch on fire, you name it! Management (At my base) was practically non-existent and there is no where to go when you have concerns to express. Shortly after I left, the employees that were able to handle working there, unionized, so maybe things are different, but in general I would be wary of these businesses. Since you have posted on the firehall.com site I assume you are seeking out a professional position as a firefighter, If that is the case, I believe a trade is the way to go. But hey, I have yet to be hired, so don't take my word for it.
I have to agree with this lad. These services are brutal, they work their crews to the Bone, somedays you don't even get lunches, never collect any over time pay... it's sick.. I am glad these days are done for me.

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:41 pm

INFERNO21 wrote:I have to agree with this lad. These services are brutal, they work their crews to the Bone, somedays you don't even get lunches, never collect any over time pay... it's sick.. I am glad these days are done for me.
I recently got fed up and quit myself, maybe it had something to do with working for an organization that couldn't garantee hours ie. 5 hours one day/ 15 hours the next. Or perhaps didn't pay us what we are truly worth, seeing as our company actually took patient assessments. Anyhow time to move on... Places like that are for college students that want a little experience and some pocket money, not for careers!
How the hell did I end up here?????

theleafsyear

Postby theleafsyear » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:03 pm

How is Voyageur PTS?

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:33 pm

theleafsyear wrote:How is Voyageur PTS?
From what I remember of them in Toronto and throughout Peel region, they were a great bunch filled with excellent staff and a good system...

I was shocked to see one day three attendants taking care of two patients, it was all because of a previous call gone wrong.
How the hell did I end up here?????