Parry Sound Ambulances equipped with defibrillators for children

five_alarm

Parry Sound Ambulances equipped with defibrillators for children

Postby five_alarm » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:05 pm

PARRY SOUND, ON - All 16 ambulances in Parry Sound District will soon be equipped with defibrillators useable on children between the ages of one and eight. “Now the children will get the same standard of care adults have had," said Guy Harris, Base Hospital manager. While Mr. Harris said he’s only had one child go into cardiac arrest in 17 years, he’s heard of paramedics who’ve had several. Previously, if a child under the age of eight went into cardiac arrest, local paramedics’ only option was to perform CPR.
Source: parrysoundnorthstar.com

northernmedic

Postby northernmedic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Largely not used in children. Children almost always code because of a terminal deterioration of shock or respiratory arrest (see current PALS/PEPP recommendation) and are almost always in a PEA or asystolic arrest, making an AED completely ineffective. Really good CPR and oxygenation/ventilation is the most important thing. You can use an adult AED on a child between 1 and 8 if you put the pads front to back. The only situation I can think of is a commotio cordis situation where maybe you had a kid hit in the chest with a hockey puck or something and he might be in VF. IMHO a lot of this is exploiting the market by companies like Zoll and Medtronic.

CanuckEMT

Postby CanuckEMT » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:28 pm

I agree with you Northern. According to ACLS guidelines, oxygenation and correcting hypoxia is the definative Tx for pediatric codes. There are quite a few EMS sevices out there who are even turning away from intubating Ped codes if an oral airway is keeping 02 sats @ acceptable levels.

Though defibrillators are an invaluable tool to have, i agree that the media attention to them as well is being promoted by the manufacturers and not being totally informative that they are not used in every kind of cardiac arrest situation.

Gilles

defibrilator for children

Postby Gilles » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:39 pm

I am a first responder from Kingsey falls Québec, we have an automatic external defibrilator with pediatric pad but we are not allowed to use it.
maybe i will never need it and i hope not!

K9kazoo

Postby K9kazoo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:44 am

Here in The Peg... EMS uses the Lifepak LP12. We have two sets of pads... Adult and Peds. We use manual defib.

On the Fire side the use the AED LP500 with Adult and Peds pads with a built in reducer. Several Fire crews who have a FF/PCP (licensed) use the AED version of the LP12 .

http://www.medtronic-ers.com/products/LP500.cfm