Career change to Paramedic

ALS, ACP, PCP, Etc..
cprted

Postby cprted » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Adam, let me assure you that spending 4 months at the JI is not comparable to spending 1-2 years in a college PCP program. The difference in breadth of knowledge and understanding that the average PCP in BC has is noticeable when compared to the average PCP in Ontario.

We really shouldn't be proud of having the shortest PCP program in the country. We should be striving for better, even if the JI course meets the minimum requirements to be accredited through the CMA.

Adam82

Postby Adam82 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:32 pm

[quote=""cprted""]Adam, let me assure you that spending 4 months at the JI is not comparable to spending 1-2 years in a college PCP program. The difference in breadth of knowledge and understanding that the average PCP in BC has is noticeable when compared to the average PCP in Ontario.

We really shouldn't be proud of having the shortest PCP program in the country. We should be striving for better, even if the JI course meets the minimum requirements to be accredited through the CMA.[/quote]

Hi cprted,

The JIBC has a 2 year PCP diploma program that is equivalent, or possibly even superior to the Ontario programs. Aren't you aware of this? No need to harp on the JIBC, it's progressive and moving forward.

http://www.jibc.ca/programs-courses/sch ... iences-ems

Patho, Pharma, A&P, Psychology, Ethics, Writing... all important well rounded courses to being a great paramedic. Students can take 1 year of PCP first (30 credits), and then ladder those credits into the 2 year (60 credit) diploma later on. Most of the courses are available online and can be taken in a self paced format.

Have you taken this diploma program (that would bring you up to Ontario level specs?). You imply that since you took your PCP (I assume) at the JIBC, you are a subpar paramedic compared to Ontario paramedics. Well, here's your chance to increase your education. All the courses are online. I personally have already enhanced my education and have a university diploma with advanced courses.

Finally, maybe now is a good time to ask yourself what you can do to further paramedic education in BC? I've actually done a lot, other than just harp on forums. I've written letters and I've helped try and get JIBC credits approved at TRU (Thompson Rivers University) so that PCP's and ACP's can ladder credits in and then work towards their Bachelor of Health Science.

cprted

Postby cprted » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Adam, get over yourself.

I never said PCPs in BC were "subpar," I said, "the difference in breadth of knowledge and understanding that the average PCP in BC has is noticeable when compared to the average PCP in Ontario." There is a difference. And yes, I am licensed to work in Ontario.

Adam82

Postby Adam82 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:01 pm

[quote=""cprted""]Adam, get over yourself.

I never said PCPs in BC were "subpar," I said, "the difference in breadth of knowledge and understanding that the average PCP in BC has is noticeable when compared to the average PCP in Ontario." There is a difference. And yes, I am licensed to work in Ontario.[/quote]

Don't be mad because I proved you were wrong. You're the one who stopped in here to try and flex your muscles. Who cares if you're licensed in Ontario? I never asked that.

cprted

Postby cprted » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:08 pm

[quote=""Adam82""]Don't be mad because I proved you were wrong. You're the one who stopped in here to try and flex your muscles. Who cares if you're licensed in Ontario? I never asked that.[/quote]

lol Adam. I’m not mad, I’m not flexing anything, and I’m not sure what you think you’ve proven. But whatever makes you happy.

medic333

Education

Postby medic333 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:34 pm

You cannot measure a Paramedic based on "where they obtained their education" Its all about how much effort they put into their education. We all know this! Also, you cannot measure a Paramedic based on how long their education is. If you measure PCP education programs, based on EDUCATION hours, they come out to pretty much the same.

There are some differences between British Columbia and Ontario in regards to EMS education delivery. BC has the practitioner level of EMR, Ontario does not. In BC, you must be an EMR (130 hour course) before obtaining PCP education. (equivalent to a ON PCP 1st semester of education) Ontario PCP programs literally take the PCP student practitioner to the basics, starting from the beginning of pre-hospital medicine. In BC, you have already received the fundamentals of EMS. EMRs in BC are employed in only rural or remote setting in the province and cannot progress further in their career unless obtaining a PCP license. Just like how Ontario EMAs (EMRs) practices in Ontario back in the day, but has been abolished from the MOHTLC years and years ago.

Another factor in educational differences in how PCP programs are delivered. Ontario PCP programs are usually community college based and operate under a "semestered" system with 1-2 classes per day, a summer break and usually 4 semesters total (including your precepting period) for 2 years.

In British Columbia, a EMR practitioner will enter a PCP program, complete a month long A&P course online and then attend school Monday to Friday, usually from 8-4 during the day for 5 months straight and then go out and complete their preceptorship.

Let's break down a couple of schools in both BC and ON:

Primary Care Paramedic Program – Georgian College (Barrie, ON)
Program Length: 2 years/4 semesters
CMA Accredited: Yes
Type of College: Community College

Total Previous Practitioner Hours: N/A
Total Theory Hours: 728
Total Clinical Hours: 126
Total Precepting Hours: 434

Total Education Hours: 1288

----------------------------------------------------

Primary Care Paramedic Program – Algonquin College (Ottawa, ON)
Program Length: 2 years/4 semesters
CMA Accredited: No
Type of College: Community College

Total Previous Practitioner Hours: N/A
Total Theory Hours: 1075
Total Clinical Hours: 40
Total Precepting Hours: 400

Total Education Hours: 1555

----------------------------------------------------

Primary Care Paramedic Program – Justice Institute of British Columbia (Various Locations)
Program Length: 6-8 months
CMA Accredited: Yes
Type of College: Technical Institute

Total Previous Practitioner Hours: 134 (JIBC-EMR)
Total Theory Hours: 894
Total Clinical Hours: 48
Total Precepting Hours: 200* (average)

Total Education Hours: 1302

* Precepting hours are competency based and must complete all PCP skills before sign-off

As you can see, the JIBC school in BC surpasses the educational hours of a CMA accredited Ontario PCP school (Georgian), but did not surpass the educational hours of a NON-CMA accredited school (Algonquin), but was close.

I don't have evidence to support my next statement but I believe PCP courses in Ontario are more heavy on pathophysiology/pharmacology because a Ontario ACP school is one year so they front-load more ACP theory to PCP education. (ACP school in BC is 2 years). Please correct me if I am wrong.

We are all Paramedics, there is no use fighting on who is "more qualified" solely based on where you went to school. Make sure you do some research before you comment on a province of paramedicine that you are unfamiliar with. It's how much effort you put into your initial education and continuing education that determines what kind of PCP practitioner you will become. This job is continuous learning :)

**** DISCLAIMER I am unable to post links to my research because I am a new member. If you would like them, feel free to send me a PM. I am also LICENSED in both Ontario and British Columbia for PCP. Yes, I was handed an AEMCA certificate because of MOHTLC AIT equivalency and not the MOHTLC 'Standard Equivalency Process' because I went to a CMA accredited PCP school and licensed in BC as a PCP-IV..
Last edited by medic333 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.