Advice needed on becoming a paramedic!

ALS, ACP, PCP, Etc..
MN96

Advice needed on becoming a paramedic!

Postby MN96 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 pm

I'm a 19.5 year old male, I have been out of highschool now for 1.5 years. I wasn't sure what I wanted to pursue as a career when I graduated so I just worked full time at a butcher shop for a year and then got a job in construction which I thought id enjoy but after working construction for 5 months I have decided this is not what I want to pursue in life. In the past couple months I have talked to plenty of paramedics and becoming a paramedic has really interested me and I have decided to pursue it. so I will be quitting my job in construction at the end of the month.

I have registered at a adult highschool to upgrade my bio, chem, English and math beginning in January. I know it is a very competitive program to get into so i am aiming to get 85's+ in my courses but I have heard taking a pre health program at the college you want to attend increases your chances in getting into the program? or can I get into the program if I get very good grades taking the courses at the adult highscool? also what other things can I do to increase my chances of getting into the program and getting hired as a pcp? I might be joining the army reserves in the upcoming months so would that look good on a pcp application having that military exp? Thanks for any advice!

paramedicguide

RE: Advice needed on becoming a paramedic!

Postby paramedicguide » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi MN,

It's really going to depend on which province you're living in. Every province has different training schools (Try Canadian Paramedic Guide .com) and some provinces start at EMR level and some at PCP.

Sometimes with the army reserves, they will actually pay you to take the PCP course (again, dependent on which province you are located in but I know people who have taken PCP through the army reserves in both Ontario and BC and have been paid to take it.)

I would look into that first if you are thinking about joining the reserves anyway!