Returning to paramedicine

ALS, ACP, PCP, Etc..
Batdad

Returning to paramedicine

Postby Batdad » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Hey guys, I graduated the Humber PCP program and got the AEMCA cert. about 7-8 years ago, but switched career paths after. I am currently on with Fire full-time, but am intrigued by the idea of working part-time EMS.
Am I too far removed from the EMS world to stand a chance at getting hired? Any way to boost my chances? Are there refresher courses out there (Ontario)?

firemed909

Postby firemed909 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:09 am

Hey, currently a working paramedic transitioning the other way. I went to school about the same time you did and since then there has been alot of change. Our core protocols have changed twice, and entrance testing for alot of services have become patho intensive. Also certin service (larger gta ones) require quite alot of availability, which would be more of a commitment then you might want. Id say youd want to put in several months of study to get yourself ready and target smaller services with less availability requirments. I believe there is an aemca prep course you can take, not sure if its available for everyone or just though who have failed the aemca.
Also did you work ems before? If so that would help.
J

Batdad

Postby Batdad » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Never worked EMS before. Reading through some of the other threads, it looks like the candidate process for becoming a paramedic is starting to become as saturated as Fire.
When I graduated, job prospects in the GTA for ems seemed about 50/50.

Does anyone not immediately out of school get hired? Has anyone heard of anyone 7 or 8 years removed get hired?

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:06 pm

[quote=""Batdad""]Never worked EMS before. Reading through some of the other threads, it looks like the candidate process for becoming a paramedic is starting to become as saturated as Fire.

Does anyone not immediately out of school get hired? Has anyone heard of anyone 7 or 8 years removed get hired?[/quote]

Competition is beyond tough.
There are far less medic positions available especially full-time positions vs firefighter positions.
In Ontario approx 11,300 full-time ff's vs 7000 full and part time medics.

Any career that offers good pay, benefits and fulfillment is more than competitive.

It's a full-time career trying to get hired in either profession.
B.S.
"Anyone can be trained to be a firefighter, it takes brains to survive"

firemed909

Postby firemed909 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:19 am

[quote=""Batdad""]Never worked EMS before. Reading through some of the other threads, it looks like the candidate process for becoming a paramedic is starting to become as saturated as Fire.

Does anyone not immediately out of school get hired? Has anyone heard of anyone 7 or 8 years removed get hired?[/quote]

It is extremely saturated at the moment. But they are also hiring at an extremely high rate at the moment, I'm at a small service and we just hired 17, bigger services are hiring 25-100. I was out of school 2.5 yrs when hired, and know of one guy that was out for 7 when hired by TO.

Inspir

Postby Inspir » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 pm

Paramedics are in demand. But the demand is for ACP's not PCP's. The running joke is you buy yourself a job by paying $20,000 to take a 1 year ACP education upgrade. A lot of students are going directly from PCP after graduating straight into the ACP program.