Firemasters

Stevo89

Firemasters

Postby Stevo89 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Wondering if there are any current or past employees of Firemasters on here. I have been looking into the industrial firefighting and have many questions on how they operate. Hours, salary, day to day at the hall eat. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

joe43

Postby joe43 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:32 pm

curious for information aswell. please pm me if you have some

Penfire123

Postby Penfire123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:11 pm

I work for one of its competitors and I know from coworkers that used to work there that they operate very similarly to us.

You either get hired on as a full timer, which will grant you a salary between 2500-4000 depending on credentials. 1001 is a must, and EMR, EMT, class 3 and 1081 will usually help you get a higher salary.

From there you get bonus pay for every day that you're out in the field. I work 16 days on 5 days off. On your days on, you're either in the shop doing maintenance on equipment when there is no work or you're out in the field. Most companies will try to keep their guys in the field 3 days out of 4 on their days on. the bonuses are usually 100-200 a day plus a non-taxable meal allowance 30-65$ once again depending on credentials, experience and seniority.

You'll want to be in the field as much as possible as shop days are usually very boring and you're not making much money when you're not out. However, expect to work 13 to 16 hour days when you're out.

Some companies might offer staff accommodation, especially if you're based in a remote area. I work in red deer, and I'm not aware of any companies that offer that here.

Now if you don't get offered a salary job, you'll get offered a day rate job. Which can pay you more if you're very busy, but offers no job security whatsoever. You could be busy for a couple of weeks, and no jobs for a month... It all depends. A day rater makes 275-400 a day plus the meal allowance and you can sometimes be paid by the hour for travel time as well. You don't have shop days as the salary guys take care of the equipment. You'll be considered somewhat of an outsider unless everyone is a day rater (some companies do that). You are also very expendable, so a small screw up can easily cost you your job.

Now the sad part: an industrial firefighter's bread and butter is hydrolic fracturing jobs, right now, the oil companies in alberta are panicking, stopping a lot of their operations, and well service companies are about to announce massive lay offs. As stated by the oil experts, this might go on for years. So here's what I know: B.O.S.S. And Firemaster are some of the biggest players in that industry, and they both laid off half their staff last week. I can only assume that other companies have or will be following suit very quickly. A lot of salary jobs are turned into day rate jobs because of the very sporadic work.

So now is a terrible time to look for work in this field. And it might be for a while. The spring and summer are historically slow in the oilfield and this winter is so far a bust. I would probably try next fall if I were you, although it doesn't hurt to try now anyways.

Hope that helps