What is with this "Superworker" idea?

YYJ_ARFF

what is with this superworker idea?

Postby YYJ_ARFF » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:28 pm

So yyj is now working on a plan to create the "Airfield Superworker" and turn us into a Firefighter, maintenance workers, bird control, grass cutting people.

Does anyone actually have some good/bad info on this? I've heard Vancouver has done this and everyone hates the job now. Anyone want to chime in on it?
Last edited by YYJ_ARFF on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nil

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:50 pm

This seems to really be a growing trend among canadian airports in general. depending on what system they use, you might be alternating between being a firefighter one shift, and then 2 or 3 maintenance shifts. There are a ton of airports that have gone to this now. there isnt really anything good for us about it, but the good for the airport is it ends up saving them money.

storme1

Postby storme1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:42 pm

YVR does it. YEG is possibly looking to go that way but who knows. Thats just the way it is these days.

firetime

super worker my a*#

Postby firetime » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:40 pm

It is a nightmare at my airport. It has not saved the airport a penny. It can be an ok program if you had a few cross trained guys to do both jobs. That would help with holiday relief and sick calls. The biggest thing we have found is no one can be 100% trained in this position. Equipment operators and firefighters are two very distinct jobs. If you allow this to happen you are crazy. The airport also spends a ton of money on staff turn over. Who goes out and spends money on fire training to work at an airport where you have to cut grass in between flights?
It is not worth the extra money if they are throwing that at you. We have cross trained guys that would go to a lower paying operators job if one was to open up.

firetime

Postby firetime » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Oh if you have a collective agreement and you do not have to go this way, I suggest you just leave it alone. Call all the airport union reps and get their feelings on the matter.

OSMFF

Postby OSMFF » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Toronto City Centre (Island Airport) Used to have it's firefighters cutting grass and plowing snow... however that has ended from what I most recently heard... a big change... I don't agree with the multi job description... If there are 3 firefighters on duty, they should all be at the Hall..ready and willing... and hold daily training sessions!!!!!!!

Pike

Postby Pike » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:15 pm

We cut grass, clean and conduct minor maint. around our municipal fire hall....Is that not somewhat of a norm?....or are they assigning you to do these things and not providing you with the time to train or respond? I know the logistics are different at the airport and I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but most of my coworkers enjoy spending time amoungst the public doing general duties ...understanding that training and responding trumps them.
EVERYONE GOES HOME....

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 pm

No it's very different, you're job is essentially a maintenance worker, with a side of firefighter. You would spend say, 3 of 4 shifts running heavy equipment like graders, loaders, grass cutting equipment etc, doing maintenance duties inside the terminal, things like that. While you are doing said maintenance, you wouldn't be responsible for responding.

Goose651

Postby Goose651 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Red 1, Red 8, Red 9, Grasscutter 1, Birdman 3, field maint 6
Respond to in flight emergency, bird strike, one engine out, 137 souls on board, 23000 lbs fuel, landing on 31R ,5min out.......
Does this make sense?
Training could get you hurt. Lack of training can get you killed!!!

Profire

Postby Profire » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:19 am

Sounds to me like its kind of just like superman, You work a regular job, then, when danger lurks you rush into the nearest phone booth and Tada! Your superworker. 2 jobs, one paycheck, every CEO's dream.......
Professional Union Firefighter and proud of it![sigpic][/sigpic]