The student’s quick actions during a house fire in January saved her life and the lives of her sister and family dog.
Julia Tatem, a student at Milton District High School, was honoured for her heroics with a surprise visit to the school on Friday, Mar. 8, by members of the Milton Fire Department, who presented her with the award.
Surrounded by friends, family and teachers, Julia received the reward for her bravery.
She smelled something burning in the family home in early January. She investigated and found a chair near the fireplace smouldering. Julia quickly went upstairs to find her sister and family dog. They exited the house and called 911 just as the smoke alarms activated.
The home was destroyed by the fire despite the short time it took firefighters to arrive on the scene.
"Julia did an amazing job responding to this very difficult situation,” said Milton fire Capt. Steve Ellis. “Her quick action ultimately saved three lives that day.
“The Milton Fire Department is proud to recognize her for demonstrating fire safety knowledge and for taking courageous action."
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest