Fundamentals of Writing an Awesome Firefighter Resume

denis57

Fundamentals of Writing an Awesome Firefighter Resume

Postby denis57 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:09 am

Note: The article is meant for informational purposes

The Three ‘Gates’ All Firefighter Resumes Must Unlock

For your resume to get from the pile and into the hands of decision makers, it commonly has to pass through 3 steps:
  • Gate 1. Score high with the keyword software they’re using;
  • Gate 2. Impress a quick-scanning human eye, and;
  • Gate 3. Show how qualified you are by highlighting your hard and soft skills.
We’ll go into more details on how to MAXIMIZE your chances of passing all three.

Note: If you’re looking to add a fantastic cover letter to your resume, visit our article on how to create an awesome firefighter cover letter.

Professional Summary (aka mission statement or objective)

Many people still write this as an objective statement.

It’s usually something along the lines of: ‘Looking to gain employment as a firefighter in a great city.’

Just like the game ‘Pong,’ objective statements are out. (Sorry to the lovers of pong)

Instead, we’re going to write a summary paragraph.

As the name implies, this should be a summary of what YOU have to offer the service.

This summary should be 2-4 sentences long, using keywords from the job posting (more on this later):
  • What you have been doing (e.g., your years of experience using a safety-first approach);
  • What your main strengths are (e.g., expert leader and strategic planner, with exceptional quick-thinking abilities and calm attitude in challenging situations);
  • What you are looking to do (e.g., grow and positively impact community) and;
  • How you will do it (e.g., by applying multiple training certificates and proven methods of success).
More of this article can be found here: Firefighter Resume Fundamentals
Last edited by denis57 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

infernobuster

Re: Fundamentals of Writing an Awesome Firefighter Resume

Postby infernobuster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:49 am

I get that you are trying to push a website etc ..

But having a summary or objective in your resume to todays standards is a waste of space.

HR and fire admin know when they bring you in for an interview what your overall objective is.

When an "objective or summary" is a few lines which takes up space, where that space could highlight your primary courses or life skills you bring to the table.

Just my 2 cents ..

denis57

Postby denis57 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:33 pm

infernobuster wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:49 am
But having a summary or objective in your resume to todays standards is a waste of space.

HR and fire admin know when they bring you in for an interview what your overall objective is.

When an "objective or summary" is a few lines which takes up space, where that space could highlight your primary courses or life skills you bring to the table.

Just my 2 cents ..
Thanks for your input.

After seeing 100's of resumes, I can tell you that a lot of people just merely write: To gain employment as a firefighter.

My suggestion is to make it an overall summary of what you can bring to that specific department; a very condensed version of the cover letter.

It's about determining what's essential to have on your resume, does it relate to the role of a firefighter? Will it add keywords? Does it add credibility to your experience? Does it draw the eyes of the reader to the critical points?

Don't get me wrong, I'm always open to suggestions, but I 'm rarely that tight on space that I have to remove the summary.

Summary paragraph aside, if you like, I'd be happy to take a look at yours and make suggestions. You could take them or leave them, no sales.

You're welcome to send it to [email protected] :shakehands:

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Thank you for the offer but I will decline as i already sit on the "hired" side of things.

I too look ALOT of resumes and know that you only have 45 seconds to a minute to show that individual reading your resume that you move onto the next pile.

Having a statement of objective is a waste of space, espcially for those who are needing additional room as they move to a 2, 3 or 4 page resume.
Highlighting your major credentials are key to moving forward in a pile of 200 plus people moving forward to the interview stages.

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Respectfully: policy of this website is no advertising. That should not have to be policed especially when it's a website that is designed for those who wish to be in a career of giving.

If you are a firefighter than set the example and stop advertising to people who have spent $1000.00's upon $1000.00's to work toward their career.

Buy some advertising like real companies do. Support a charity and earn goodwill. Show up at some volunteer events and get to know those who are busting their ass to land the career of their dreams.

But please stop putting what appears to be the non existent web manager in a position to tell you to stop advertising ... again.
Sure it's in a soft sell approach but oh so obvious.

Thanks for the advice to aspiring firefighters but no selling please and thanks.

denis57

Postby denis57 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:33 am

infernobuster wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:34 pm
Thank you for the offer but I will decline as i already sit on the "hired" side of things.

I too look ALOT of resumes and know that you only have 45 seconds to a minute to show that individual reading your resume that you move onto the next pile.

Having a statement of objective is a waste of space, espcially for those who are needing additional room as they move to a 2, 3 or 4 page resume.
Highlighting your major credentials are key to moving forward in a pile of 200 plus people moving forward to the interview stages.
This post is intended for those who are looking for help in this area. You are right about the glancing eye being quick but 45 seconds is a long time to look at a resume and therefore plenty of time for a prospective hiring team to not only verify the base credentials but also to read an objective statement.
A proper layout are going to draw the reader into the important points so whether you have an objective statement or not, ultimately it is the presentation which is going to dictate how much "eyeball" your resume gets.

We defend having an objective statement since when it comes down to the end, that little personal touch will remind the team of who you are as a candidate and creates a small bias in your favor. It is basic psychology.

Now, you, as a person who looks at resumes, might not be interested in looking at an objective statement, but industry standard across Canada means there will be services out there who will be looking for it. In our experience, it is not a "waste of space" when it is used wisely.
Last edited by denis57 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

denis57

Postby denis57 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 am

bigsmoke wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:00 pm
If you are a firefighter than set the example and stop advertising to people who have spent $1000.00's upon $1000.00's to work toward their career.
It is BECAUSE I am a firefighter who has spent $1,000's fighting for a spot that I created this service. It is our intention to save people money in the long run by increasing their chances of getting a job, thereby eliminating multiple trips to recert OFAI, York testing etc.

If we can bring value to an applicant who has already spent '$1000.00's upon $1000.00's to work toward their career' and get them a leap forward, then how is that 'dirty'?. People do appreciate our services and can tell the difference between someone 'just trying to make a quick buck' versus someone who cares.

If the 'web manager' deems this educational post to be spam, than it is up to him/her to remove this post.