Looking to move to Ontario

natashab

Looking to move to Ontario

Postby natashab » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm wondering how difficult it is to get hired in ontario?

New here and just curious the average length of time it takes. I know everyones different I'm just curious what your experience has been.

Does having other emergency training (i.e. paramedicine) help? Or being an instructor?

Thanks!

infernobuster

Re: Looking to move to Ontario

Postby infernobuster » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:22 pm

thats a pretty open ended question as it really depends on your qualifications/skill set etc.

There is ALOT of people in different stages of the recruitment phase, some are ready to be hired, some are honing their skills/education and others are just entering the phase.

Normally on average is a 3-5 yr plan for most people before they get hired.

natashab

Postby natashab » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:17 pm

infernobuster wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:22 pm
thats a pretty open ended question as it really depends on your qualifications/skill set etc.

There is ALOT of people in different stages of the recruitment phase, some are ready to be hired, some are honing their skills/education and others are just entering the phase.

Thank you! I have paramedicine (PCP) and am also NOCP I & II, among other fire certs. As well as a gold seal fire instructor. Curious if this type of thing stands out...

Also how many people typically apply per hire? And how many people do they take?

NationalQ

Postby NationalQ » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Depends on the service your applying to.
Toronto is typically 40-50
Smaller/mid size departments (ie) Ajax, Pickering and Mississauga can be anywhere between 3 to 15..
As for the number of applicants applying it can be anywhere from 300 to 600 applicants

Hope this helps.

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 am

natashab wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:17 pm
infernobuster wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Thank you! I have paramedicine (PCP) and am also NOCP I & II, among other fire certs. As well as a gold seal fire instructor. Curious if this type of thing stands out...

Also how many people typically apply per hire? And how many people do they take?
Its a great start to have your PCP .. but most depts require your NFPA certs now 1001/1002 to be looked at.
As someone said earlier depending on the city, you could have a few hundred to over a thousand plus apply for just a few jobs or 30-50 (toronto) people in a recruitment.